I never realized until earlier this week just how important everyday moments with our nation’s troops and their families really are," said King. "Volunteering with the USO and spending time with our men and women in uniform was an eye opening experience.
Arlington, VA (PRWEB) November 20, 2013
Twitter Pitch: @StephenKing makes every #USOmoments count on @the_USO visit to Germany and encourages public to join in, http://bit.ly/174LW9E
Midway through a European book tour promoting his latest literary masterpiece, “Doctor Sleep,” King joined forces with the USO on November 18th and participated in his first-ever USO visit. Passing out free copies of his book, visiting Landstuhl Regional Medical Center and leading insightful Q&A sessions with servicemen and women, King made every moment count with our nation’s troops and military families stationed in Germany on Monday.
- King kicked off his morale boosting trip with a visit to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, where he extended his thanks to medical staff and walked from room-to-room visiting with troops and their families.
- King then toured the USO Warrior Center and led an eye-opening Q&A, where he shed light into his creative process, novel inspirations and support of America’s Armed Forces.
- Capping off the day, King led a USO book reading of “Doctor Sleep” at Ramstein Air Base’s Hercules Theater. In total, King uplifted the spirits of and shared special moments with hundreds of troops and military families. This visit marked the writer’s first USO experience.
- More than three decades after his wildly successful novel, “The Shining,” King released his first-ever sequel novel, “Doctor Sleep,” in January 2013. Returning to the character and territory of one of his most popular novels ever, King’s latest literary work follows the now middle-aged Dan Torrance and the very special twelve-year-old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals.
- Known as the monarch of fictional horror, King has written more than 50 books and sold more than 350 million copies worldwide. Whether writing stories about teenagers with uncanny powers (Carrie), vampires colonizing dead-end towns (Salem’s Lot), monstrous canines (Cujo) or tribal (Pet Sematary), King has mastered the art of terror.
- The “Every Moment Counts” campaign was launched by the USO on Veterans Day 2013 and invites Americans to join the USO in honoring and creating moments that matter for our nation’s troops and their families. The campaign centers around the countless every day moments – from family dinners, date nights to children’s births and bedtime stories – that our troops and their families miss out on and selflessly sacrifice due to their commitment and service to our country. To learn more visit USOmoments.org.
Attributed to Stephen King:
“I never realized until earlier this week just how important everyday moments with our nation’s troops and their families really are. Volunteering with the USO and spending time with our men and women in uniform was an eye opening experience that I hope to be able to do again soon. I stand behind the USO’s “Every Moment Counts” campaign and encourage others to join the USO in supporting our troops.”
USO Tour Photos: http://bit.ly/HYFcUp
USO Fact Sheet: http://bit.ly/1apSMv2
About the USO
The USO lifts the spirits of America¹s troops and their families millions of times each year at hundreds of places worldwide. We provide a touch of home through centers at airports and military bases in the U.S. and abroad, top quality entertainment and innovative programs and services. We also provide critical support to those who need us most, including forward-deployed troops, military families, wounded warriors and families of the fallen. The USO is a private, non-profit organization, not a government agency. Our programs and services are made possible by the American people, support of our corporate partners and the dedication of our volunteers and staff.
In addition to individual donors and corporate sponsors, the USO is supported by President’s Circle Partners: American Airlines, AT&T, Clear Channel, The Coca-Cola Company, jcpenney, Jeep, Kangaroo Express, Kroger, Lowe’s, Northrop Grumman Corporation, Procter & Gamble, and TriWest Healthcare Alliance and Worldwide Strategic Partners: BAE Systems, The Boeing Company, Lockheed Martin, Microsoft Corporation and TKS Telepost Kabel-Service Kaiserslautern GmbH & Co. KG. We are also supported through the United Way and Combined Federal Campaign (CFC-11381). To join us in this patriotic mission, and to learn more about the USO, please visit uso.org.