An estimated 240 home fires involving trees and another 150 home fires involving holiday lights and other decorative lighting occur each year.
Orland Park, IL (PRWEB) December 02, 2013
The Horton Group, one of the largest, privately owned insurance brokers in the Midwest, is committed to providing personal insurance solutions to homeowners across the country. Aside from coverage, the agency is also dedicated to extending safety tips that will allow homeowners peace of mind at all times. In light of the holiday season, The Horton Group would like to take a moment to share holiday décor safety. After all, the following numbers are alarming.
According to data from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), "an estimated 240 home fires involving trees and another 150 home fires involving holiday lights and other decorative lighting occur each year." The result: $25.2 million in direct property damage.
The last thing that any homeowner needs around the holidays is an accident to put an end to holiday cheer and spirit. To play it safe, it is important to remember the following tips:
- Secure a tree in a stand before decorating.
- Position a tree at least three feet away from flame or heat sources.
- Water a tree daily to keep from drying out.
- Never put real candles on a tree.
- Check decorative strings of light for broken bulbs, frayed wiring, and other damages.
- Use lighting listed by an approved testing laboratory.
- Keep holiday lights turned off while away.
- Never use electric lights on a metallic tree to avoid electrocution.
- Avoid overloading electrical outlets.
- Hang stockings away from flames, especially if over a fireplace.
- Do not throw wrapping paper in the fireplace; it could lead to a large fire.
- Never leave burning candles unattended; consider battery-operated flameless candles.
As an extra precaution this season and beyond, homeowners are encouraged to purchase the right property protection from The Horton Group. Homeowners who are concerned about their homeowners insurance liability limits should consider an umbrella insurance policy. The agents at The Horton Group are ready and waiting to discuss options. Those who are interested should call 877-496-1446 or visit the agency’s website to fill out a free quote form.
About The Horton Group
The Horton Group is one of the largest, privately owned insurance brokers in the Midwest and is among the Top 60 in the U.S. While the agency is based in Illinois, it has eight offices spread across the Midwest and works to serve the entire country. Its personal services include coverage for vehicles, property, life, and health. The company is also proud to serve high net worth clientele through its Private Client Group program. Through continuous improvement and innovation, The Horton Group is able to provide high-quality personal insurance solutions for individuals.