Bishop's Waltham, Southampton (PRWEB UK) 11 December 2013
Nuique, manufacturer of a new Vegan Omega 3 Algae health supplement, is backing leading doctors in the UK who are calling on the Government to focus on a healthy diet rather than pharmaceutical drugs to help battle dementia. The call comes in advance of a G8 Dementia Summit being held in London on 11th December 2013.
The benefits of eating a healthy diet are well-known and can cut the risk of dementia as well as other conditions such as stroke, diabetes and heart disease. Omega 3 is a key component of a healthy diet and, in particular, the fatty acids found in Omega 3, DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), are essential for brain and retina development at all ages. A number of epidemiological studies, including, the Framlingham study5 indicate that DHA consumption reduces Alzheimer's risk by about a half.
Whilst seeds, nuts and oily fish provide some Omega 3, for those wishing to supplement their diet then quality algae based supplements are now available, including Nuique’s new Vegan Omega 3 Algae supplement* (http://www.nuique.com). Nuique provide essential and valuable Omega 3 fats in a ratio that is close to nature, making it even easier for the body to absorb.
Angus Jones, Director at Nuique, said: “Getting the right amount of Omega 3 is crucial. Many people still don’t understand the important role it plays in health and well-being. I hope this G8 summit will put much more focus on how a healthy diet, and the right health supplements, can help prevent conditions, including dementia, and contribute to maintaining a healthy lifestyle.”
*Anyone considering taking health supplements should consult their doctor first.
For more information, please contact:
Notes to editors:
1. Omega-3 is a polyunsaturated fatty acid. It is called an essential fatty acid because it provides nutrients necessary for human health. There are three kinds of Omega 3 fats:
EPA and DHA are particularly important for health and well-being. EPA is necessary for efficient functioning of the brain and DHA is important for healthy development of the brain during pregnancy and in the first few years of life.
The body cannot ‘make’ these long chain Omega 3 fatty acids so we need to get them from our diet or from health supplements. Omega 3 can be obtained from foods including oily fish (salmon and tuna) and vegetable oils, walnuts, flaxseeds and soy products.
2. For anyone who may not get all their Omega 3 requirements from diet then a health supplement may be beneficial. Anyone considering an Omega 3 health supplement should seek the advice of a doctor, dietician or other health professional, to ensure it is suitable and does not conflict with any health condition or medication being taken.
3. NUIQUE was established in 2011 by Dr Brian Whittle who has more than 60 years’ experience in the pharmaceutical and healthcare industries and is a specialist in the development of plant based medicine.
4. NUIQUE manufactures, markets and distributes natural skin care and health supplements. NUIQUE’s Omega 3 supplement is:
NUIQUE offers its products via its website: http://www.nuique.com
5. More information on the Framlingham study can be found here: http://www.neurology.org/content/43/3_Part_1/515.short). And, further references to other relevant research are: