According to an NBC news report, a New York Waterway commuter vessel hit the Paulus Hook dock
New York, N.Y (PRWEB) January 03, 2014
Traveling by ferry is a way of life for millions of New Yorkers and visitors to the area. According to the Staten Island Ferry's website, they provide 20 million people a year with ferry service between St. George on Staten Island and Whitehall Street in lower Manhattan. The New York City Department of Transportation also operates and maintains the nine-vessel fleet as well as the St. George Ferry Terminal on Staten Island, Whitehall Ferry Terminal in Manhattan, the City Island and Hart Island facilities, the Battery Maritime Building and all floating dock building equipment, according to the website.
Ferry accidents, especially incidents involving hard landings occur with some level of frequency. The most recent incident occurred Nov. 29 when seven people were injured in a Jersey City ferry crash. According to an NBC news report, a New York Waterway commuter vessel hit the Paulus Hook dock.
Ferry accident victims, just like victims of car accidents, would be well advised to take a number of steps in the aftermath of the incident to ensure that their legal rights and best interests are protected, says New York personal injury lawyer Kenneth A. Wilhelm:
- If you are injured severely and cannot move, wait for emergency personnel to arrive and get you to a safe location.
- If you are able to move, it would be a good idea to get pertinent information including the name of the ferry's operator and contact information.
- Also, try to obtain contact information for eyewitnesses who may have seen how the crash took place. For example, talk to people at or near the dock to find out what they saw.
- Take photographs of the scene of the crash. Take photos of your own injuries and the position of the ferry.
- Make sure you get prompt medical attention at the scene. Also, go to the hospital to assess the nature and extent of your injuries.
- Be sure to follow up on your doctor's instructions and get the treatment you need. This will not only create a medical record, but also make sure that you are on the road to recovery.
Wilhelm observes that injuries resulting from ferry accidents can be serious. "We have seen cases where individuals suffered multiple broken bones, serious internal injuries, head trauma and neck and back injuries. In such cases, it is important that victims and their families tap into all possible resources they need to get through challenging times."
About the Law Offices of Kenneth A. Wilhelm
The Law Offices of Kenneth A. Wilhelm is a personal injury litigation firm with an unwavering dedication to its clients. With more than 42 years of experience, our firm strives to obtain the best compensation for those who have been injured or those who have lost a loved one due to an accident or by someone else's negligence. We handle cases dealing with personal injury, medical malpractice, wrongful death, train accidents, workers' compensation, dental malpractice, motor vehicle accidents, pedestrian accidents, rape, paralysis, comas, seizures, false arrest, lead poisoning, trips and slips and falls, falls on sidewalks or stairs, elevator accidents, construction accidents, Erb's palsy, cerebral palsy, brain damage, blindness, hearing loss, dog bite cases, fire and smoke inhalation accidents, bicycle accidents, falls from windows or scaffolds, food poisoning injuries, and many other types of accidents and injuries.
Please contact our New York personal injury attorneys toll free 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-WORK-4-YOU (1-800-967-5496). We can even come to you. There is no attorneys' fee unless we recover money for you. We can also help with personal injury cases in New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, or Florida. If you have been seriously injured in any of the 50 U.S. states, please call us and we will try to help you with your case.
Other toll free phone numbers for us are:
1-800-RADIO-LAW, 1-888-WYPADEK, OR 1-800-LAS-LEYES
The Law Offices of Kenneth A. Wilhelm
445 Park Ave, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10022
Please visit us at: http://www.WORK4YOULAW.com