Celebrate Holiday! @ City Museum
Free Ice Cream and Fun Events for All Ages, Thursday, December 26 – Friday, January 3 at the Museum of the City of New York
New York, NY (PRWEB) December 18, 2013
The Museum of the City of New York is celebrating the end of 2013 with “Holiday! @ City Museum”—a week of fun activities and events for adults and kids alike, including ice cream, a winter wonderland for families, and tango performances inspired by Picturing Central Park: Paintings by Janet Ruttenberg, which closes on Sunday, January 5. The week’s festivities also will feature a photographer meet-and-greet and special viewing of never-before-seen images in Rising Waters: Photographs of Sandy. “Holiday! @ City Museum” will take place from Thursday, December 26, 2013 to Friday, January 3, 2014.
While closed on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day, the City Museum always celebrates the last week of the year with fun activities for all ages. This year’s attractions include:
Free Ice Cream by Gelato Giuliana for visitors who pay full admission from Thursday, December 26 to Friday, January 3. Flavors will vary by day, and include pumpkin spice, chocolate espresso, vanilla, and coconut. Admission is $10 for adults, $6 for students, and free for children under age 12. Ice cream will be available daily while supplies last.
- Rising Waters 2.0, a special viewing of 500 never-before-seen Superstorm Sandy images, taken by amateur and professional photographers in the storm’s wake. The viewing will complement the City Museum’s current exhibition Rising Waters: Photographs of Sandy, and be viewable from Friday, December 27 to Sunday, December 29.
- Behind the Lens, On the Job, a meet-and-greet on Thursday, December 26 with NYC infrastructure agencies’ official photographers. Drop by anytime between 10:00 AM and 3:30 PM to meet them and see their work in Rising Waters: Photographs of Sandy.
- Tango, Art, and Music, an early start to New Year’s Eve inspired by Janet Ruttenberg’s Central Park paintings. Enjoy tapas and Argentinian wine, music by Pablo Pereyra, tango performances by Jorge Torres and Maria Blanco, and more. The event begins at 7:00 PM on Monday, December 30. Reservations required. Tickets are $20 per person.
- Kids’ Winter Wonderland, a series of indoor family programs to engage children during their winter break. Activities include assembling winter wonderland collages, sketching pictures of Central Park, and decoding the Museum’s design with Chet the Secret Agent Architect. Activities take place from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM between Thursday, December 26 and Monday, December 30. Complimentary, no RSVP required.
- Shop Like a New Yorker, and stop by the City Museum Shop to pick up your last-minute holiday gifts. The shop features New York-made apparel and accessories, reprints of historic photographs, and more. Visitors who check in at the City Museum on Facebook will receive a complimentary gift. Every purchase supports the City Museum.
About the Museum of the City of New York
Founded in 1923 as a private, nonprofit corporation, the Museum of the City of New York celebrates and interprets the city, educating the public about its distinctive character, especially its heritage of diversity, opportunity, and perpetual transformation. The Museum connects the past, present, and future of New York City, and serves the people of the city as well as visitors from around the world through exhibitions, school and public programs, publications, and collections. For more information, visit http://www.mcny.org.