Phoenix, Arizona (PRWEB) December 18, 2013
2013 was a difficult year for the trucking industry with the economy continuing on a lukewarm course while the recent cold snap has sent drive-times and maintenance costs sky-rocketing for transport companies across the United States. As companies sought to adapt to the troubled conditions they have sought out the advice of Ahern and Associates in increasing numbers. Using their unique market position Ahern and Associates have been leading a wave of consolidation and acquisition that has picked up pace throughout the transportation and logistics industry.
Using their un-matched pool of industry knowledge and experience Ahern’s analysts have worked with almost 50 companies throughout 2013, reaching out to their network of trucking, logistics, warehousing and private equity contacts across North America to locate strategic growth opportunities and create long term stability and growth. With 2014 just around the corner Ahern and Associates have announced an unprecedented 12 new acquisition opportunities that they are seeking to assist with in the first quarter.
1. A well-established client is looking to acquire freight brokers with revenues between $20MM and $150MM of annual revenue and are seeking to pay a multiple of EBITDA and close the transaction within 90 days with current management retaining operational control.
2. An extremely profitable, 3PL company that is owned by a nonprofit organization is looking to extend their operating footprint in the state of Ohio by acquiring a profitable company generating revenues between $5M and $20M with an excellent management staff who are willing to stay and become a part of the company.
3. A medium sized transportation company is looking to quickly acquire a profitable company with revenues between $5M and $20M to strengthen their cross-border business. They are particularly looking for a company with a non-asset portion to their business and an average length of haul should be 800 to 1200 miles.
4. A family owned and operated business in the Midwest is looking to acquire bulk tank carriers or freight brokers generating between $5M and $50M with management that are willing to stay on and continuing operations. The primary focus is on operations in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan.
5. A well-established transportation company operating primarily vans is looking to extend their operating footprint throughout the United States by quickly acquiring assets and customer base. They are seeking a management team that is willing to stay and assist in growing the business with its expanded capacity.
6. A well-established trucking company, whose revenues exceed $250MM is looking to expand in the state of California by acquiring freight brokers or LTL carriers that generate $3MM to $20MM of annual revenue. They are also open to acquisition of van carriers that are predominantly non-asset based, as well as intermodal operations. Client will also consider warehousing businesses that can move storage into one of their California locations.
7. A well-established trucking company that was started in 1999 that is currently operating 400 trucks is looking to grow their business by acquiring a truckload, van or over the road carrier operating east of the Mississippi with primary lanes in Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, Louisiana, West Virginia, Georgia to Pennsylvania and an average length of 300 to 400 miles. They also have an over the road division. This specific client does a lot of automotive work. They are looking to acquire companies that have 20 – 100 trucks and can close quickly. An ideal location will be St. Louis, MO.
8. This is a new client that has been in business since 1988. They are looking for a carrier whose average length of haul is 900 miles that operates primarily in Tennessee and Kentucky, with lanes going into the Northeast generating revenue between $3M and $6M. The company would like to have company drivers with some teams, primarily refrigerated, high-end products, pharmaceuticals;
9. Southeast client looking to extend operating footprint in the states of Virginia, Carolina, Illinois, Wisconsin, as well as St. Louis and Atlanta by acquiring a historically profitable company operating between 10 to 30 trucks with an average haul length of 500 miles utilizing primarily van and over the road commodities. There is room for management to stay on after the sale.
10. Existing client is a continual customer that is looking to acquire platform companies with minimum revenues of approximately $75MM. The client is willing to pay a multiple of EBIT/EBITDA and acquire a percentage of the stock. They are seeking to help grow the business and provide financial strength, as well as the management depth in the long term.
11. A very well-recognized company, whose annual revenue is approaching $1 billion is looking to acquire van, flatbed, refrigerated and freight brokers. In all instances, the trucking company should be a very light, asset-based brokerage company that is profitable with the ability to expand with a national firm. Management must be willing to stay, going forward.
12. A family operated flatbed business, currently generating revenues in excess of $250MM is looking to expand their operating footprint throughout the United States be acquiring a profitable, non-asset based business generating between $10M to $40M of annual revenue. Current management must be willing to continue to run the business after the sale.
The above represent clients who have signed engagement letters with Ahern and are currently looking for opportunities matching these criteria. In many instances, Ahern has worked with these clients in the past and these companies have already completed their 2014 budget, planning, and want to complete their goals for the 1st quarter of 2014. To find out more you can read the latest issue of the Ahern Advisory or visit their website.
If your company is a match to any of the above clients or if you know of a company that is a potential match, you are urged to contact Andy Ahern at (602) 242-1030 or through e-mail at ahern(at)ahern-ltd.com.
About Ahern & Associates, Ltd.
Ahern and Associates is North America’s leading trucking and transportation management consulting firm. The skilled consultants at Ahern and Associates specialize in mergers and acquisitions of trucking and logistics companies as well as the restructuring and evaluation of existing carriers that seek to increase operating efficiency and improve profitability. Since 1987, Ahern and Associates has aided hundreds of buyers in the acquisition of trucking and logistics companies throughout the U.S. and Canada as well as assisting many transportation and logistics companies in reducing their overall operating costs and increasing their profitability.
For more information, please call 602-242-1030 or visit http://www.ahern-ltd.com.