Dallas, TX (PRWEB) December 17, 2013
North Central Surgical Center announced recently that it has achieved the unique distinction of being the recipient of two HealthGrades 2013 awards: the 2013 Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ and the 2013 Patient Safety Excellence Award™. Less than 2 percent of the nation’s hospitals achieve this unique recognition, with only 72 hospitals performing at the levels required to distinguish their organization in these two areas in the same year.
In addition to achieving the 2013 Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ and the 2013 Patient Safety Excellence Award™, North Central Surgical Center achieved the following Five- Star ratings: Five-Star Recipient for Total Knee Replacement for two years in a row (2012-2013), Five-Star Recipient for Back and Neck Surgery (Spinal Fusion) in 2013 and Five-Star Recipient for Gynecologic Surgery for two years in a row (2012-2013).
Being designated with these honors is unique as it demonstrates outstanding performance in key areas as measured by data reported to the federal government, the patient safety indicators measured by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality and consumer experience surveys reported via the Hospitals Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems, known as HCAHPS.
The benefits to patients in these communities are significant. When compared to hospitals performing in the bottom five percent for patient safety, on average, patients treated in Patient Safety Excellence Award hospitals were also:
- Eighty-one percent less likely to experience hip fracture following surgery compared to hospitals ranked in the bottom 5 percent in the nation.
- Eighty percent less likely to experience pressure sores or bed sores acquired in the hospital compared to hospitals ranked in the bottom 5 percent in the nation.
- Seventy percent less likely to experience a catheter-related bloodstream infection acquired in the hospital compared to hospitals ranked in the bottom 5 percent in the nation.
During the 2013 study period (2009-2011), Patient Safety Excellence Award hospitals showed better than expected performance in providing safety for patients in the Medicare population, as measured by objective outcomes (risk-adjusted patient safety indicator rates) across 13 of the 14 most common patient safety indicators, as defined by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ).
In addition, these hospitals have outperformed in areas measured related to a patients’ experience, as reported by patients themselves. To be eligible for the HealthGrades 2013 Outstanding Patient Experience Award, North Central Surgical Center must have met the clinical quality threshold for this award and have data for a minimum number of HCAHPS surveys:
- Clinical Quality Threshold – North Central Surgical Center ranked among the top 80 percent of hospitals for clinical quality as ranked by average z-score across the conditions and procedures that HealthGrades evaluates using Medicare data.
- Minimum Number of HCAHPS Surveys - North Central Surgical Center had data for at least 100 Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) surveys to reliably assess performance.
“HealthGrades’ report highlights the variation in hospital quality, both locally and across the nation, in order to show consumers that spending time on understanding hospital performance can be a matter of life and death,” said Evan Marks, EVP Informatics and Strategy, HealthGrades. “Consumers can be assured that a hospital that has been recognized with a HealthGrades 2013 Patient Safety Excellence Award has demonstrated an established commitment to patient safety. Achieving both this honor and the HealthGrades 2013 Outstanding Patient Experience Award are unique accomplishments to be applauded.”
About the Company:
North Central Surgical Center is a high-quality, service-oriented hospital offering a broad range of inpatient and outpatient surgical procedures. Their mission is to care for the customer like they are family. Using the latest technologies, they provide the finest surgical care and personal attention. Patients have honored North Central as one of the top hospitals in the country for patient satisfaction. Additionally, North Central has been recognized as a Top Performer in quality measures by The Joint Commission and also rated as a Five-Star Hospital by HealthGrades. North Central Surgical Center is committed to meeting healthcare needs.