Restoration Local Offers Tips On Stabilizing Property After Flood Damage
The minutes and hours following flood damage are critical. A restoration provider breaks down the steps to be taken to stabilize a property following damage and before the restoration company arrives.
Cleveland OH (PRWEB) December 20, 2013
Restoration Local, one of the leading providers of water and flood damage restoration services in the United States, is providing tips to property owners on how to best stabilize their property in the wake of a flood or other water damage problem. Doing so allows for the prevention of additional damage to the home or business, and makes productive use of the time spent waiting for professional restoration providers to arrive.
Among the recommendations made:
Shut off the water at the source or plug any leaks to keep more water from coming in.
- Use towels or mops to soak up as much excess water as possible.
- Wipe water from surfaces as well as furniture. Place aluminum foil between furniture legs and the carpeting.
- Prop up furniture cushions to allow all sides to dry out.
- Keep drapes and curtains off of wet carpet; let them hang and dry by using a clothes hangar to drape them over.
- Remove any rugs or area carpets that can be moved.
- Remove valuable items or documents to be dried out and restored elsewhere.
- If the damage occurs in winter, crank up the heat….in the summer, use the AC.
There are also a number of actions that are discouraged:
- Do not use a regular vacuum cleaner to remove water. There is risk of injury.
- Do not use electrical appliances while standing in or around wet flooring
- Do not enter any room where the ceiling is visibly sagging
- Do not wait to call professional help. The sooner the restoration crew arrives, the more likely the damage can be remediated with few after effects.
These simple, basic steps will effectively begin the water restoration process long before the professionals arrive, and will do much to guarantee that the home will be returned to its pre-loss condition.
Restoration Local is one of the leading providers of water damage restoration and mold remediation services in the US, with providers in 30 states, 24/7 availability, and same day emergency service. They are certified by the Clean Trust (IICRC) and Restoration Industry Association (RIA) and a member in good standing with the Better Business Bureau.