As pet parents, we would travel to the ends of the earth to keep our pets healthy. Likewise, we’d do anything to keep them happy – and as the survey results show, that includes sharing our out-of-town adventures with them
Philadelphia, PA (PRWEB) July 01, 2013
According to an online survey conducted by Petplan pet insurance of more than 5,600 North American pet parents summer vacationers are increasingly choosing to em “bark” with the family pets in tow. Whether the trip is an overnight jaunt or an extended journey, more than 78% of respondents reported that they bring their four-legged friends along when they travel – up 8% from last year.
But in a surprising twist, 52% of pet parents admitted they would rather see Fluffy or Fido in the passenger seat than their two-legged travel companions.
Other intriguing tidbits that Petplan’s travel survey revealed include:
- 45% would be willing to spend more than $150 to include pets on their trip – and nearly 13% say they’d pay upwards of $500
- 44% shack up in a pet friendly hotel or resort
- 23% seek out pet-friendly rental properties
- 15% take their dogs along when they dine
As pleasant purrs and wagging tails are increasingly becoming essential elements of family getaways, Petplan asked pet parents to spill the details about their travels with four-legged family members:
- All Over the Map – When it comes to picking a pet-friendly destination, the horizon’s the limit: 61% of surveyed pet parents said they would be willing to wander more than 200 miles with their four-legged friends. For the most part, though, those trips are domestic, as 92% of respondents reported their furry friends do not have a “pet passport” for traveling abroad.
- Visits and Vacations – Most happy tail trails lead to visit family and friends (58%), which is why their homes are the most pup-ular place to stay (66%). But 24% also tag along to vacation destinations, sharing space in a pet-friendly hotel or resort (44%); camping in a cabin or tent (25%); or “ruffing” things up at a rental property (23%). And when it comes to activities, popular pet pastimes include hiking, walking or jogging (74%); lounging and being pampered (60%); playing with fellow furry friends (52%); swimming or splashing (34%); and sampling local cuisine (15%).
- Sweet Souvenirs – Pet parents are also including furry friends in a time-honored travel tradition – purchasing paw-picked tastes of the trip! 65% report buying mementos for their pets, with 57% spending up to $20 and 24% reporting they’ve spent more than $20. Most pets take home a toy, treat, collar, blanket or bed – one lucky dog even got a bed made from an antique wine barrel! Other cool keepsakes include larger-than-life stuffed toys, sports jerseys from local teams, treats made from local ingredients (Maine blueberries, yum!), and even hand-painted portraits.
- Homeward Bound – Of course, there are some furry friends who prefer to stay cozy in the comfort of their own home while their pet parents explore. But don’t fret for these pets! The majority have someone dropping by to look after them (38%), while others put their paws up at the home of a two-legged family member or friend (22%) or a pet hotel or boarding facility (17%).
“As pet parents, we would travel to the ends of the earth to keep our pets healthy. Likewise, we’d do anything to keep them happy – and as the survey results show, that includes sharing our out-of-town adventures with them,” says Natasha Ashton, Co-Founder and Co-CEO of Petplan. “Whether you substitute your two-legged partner for your four-legged companion, or you compromise and all travel together, make sure you put a pet-friendly travel plan in place. We recommend bringing extra pet food in case your stay is extended, finding the nearest vet in your destination city, and of course, protecting your furry friends with pet insurance. That way, even if your trip takes an expected turn, you can still end up riding off into the sunset.”
For more tips and information on keeping pets healthy and safe at home or away, visit http://www.GoPetplan.com.
Petplan is the only pet insurance company to have been included on Inc. Magazine’s list of 500 fastest-growing, privately held companies in America. In February 2013, Petplan pet insurance was at No. 34 on Forbes annual ranking of America’s Most Promising Companies – a list of 100 privately held, high-growth companies with bright futures. Petplan’s fully customizable dog insurance and cat insurance policies provide coverage for all hereditary and congenital conditions for the life of the pet as standard, and meet the coverage requirements and budget for pets of all/any age. Petplan pet insurance policies are underwritten by AGCS Marine Insurance Company in the U.S. and by Allianz Global Risks US Insurance Company in Canada. The Allianz Group is rated A+ by A.M. Best (2012). For information, about Petplan pet insurance, visit http://www.GoPetplan.com, read the Petplan “Vets for Pets” Blog, or call 1-866-467-3875.