Collierville, Tennesse (PRWEB) July 21, 2013
LifeWings, patient safety training firm, believes that no matter what type of safety or quality initiative an organization is trying to implement, success depends on convincing people--physicians, nurses, staff, and administrators alike--to do something a certain way. For a safety or quality initiative to be successful, it is necessary for clinicians to do specific tasks or steps in a logical, evidence-based, standard, and approved sequence.
Ultimately, buy-in is needed and there must be agreement, that the required sequence of tasks, protocol, or standard process is the best way to provide that type of care to the patients.
Steve Harden, CEO of LIfeWings is convinced, "No buy-in, no success," and he offers five secrets to getting that buy-in.
1. Know that resistance is perfectly normal.
No matter what you are trying to accomplish, staff are going to resist. This behavior is so normal.
2. Realize that it is useless to try to get buy-in from the majority until there is buy-in from the innovators and early adopters.
3. The early adopters must be the ones to get buy-in from the majority.
The majority--who will determine the success or failure of the initiative--are much less likely to listen to a manger or administrator. They will be "sold" by the early adopters. One "raving fan" among your early adopters is worth more to the success than the effort of one hundred administrators. It is a waste of time trying to get buy-in from the majority before the early adopters are committed.
4. Know beforehand who the influential early adopters are in your organization--identify them by name. Ask the key administrative leaders to identify and list on a flip chart the potential champions and early adopters. They are always able to do so without hesitation. They know who can make or break a new initiative in their organization.
5. First, go get buy-in from the early adopters.
Before starting the implementation effort, assemble the key leaders and identify each of these early adopters. Assign someone from the administrative team to go have a one-on-one conversation with them and recruit their support. Next, train the early adopters on how to go get buy-in from the majority.
These five secrets, if followed, will greatly increase the odds of getting the buy-in you need for success in your organization.
LifeWings Partners creates documented, sustainable improvements in cost reduction, efficiency, reliability, safety, and quality by combining the best of Lean and TeamSTEPPS. LifeWings has improved the financial bottom line and patient safety record of over 140 hospitals worldwide. The LifeWings coaching cadre of pilots, astronauts, physicians, nurses and Toyota-trained Lean experts train more than 13,000 administrators, physicians and staff per year. Measurable results are guaranteed in all LifeWings’ initiatives. Documented return on investment typically exceeds 300%. To find out more, please visit http://www.saferpatients.com or https://www.facebook.com/LifeWingsSaferPatients.