To kick off National Air Conditioning Appreciation Days (Jul. 3-Aug. 15), HomeAdvisor offers several tips to help homeowners save money with proper air conditioner maintenance.
Golden, CO (PRWEB) July 03, 2013
A recent review of air conditioning service requests* found that Houston and San Antonio, Texas, New York City, N.Y., Philadelphia, Pa. and Miami, Fla., lead the nation in air conditioning service, repair and installation requests. This data was released from HomeAdvisor, a leading online source for connecting homeowners to pre-screened home service professionals.
To kick off National Air Conditioning Appreciation Days (Jul. 3-Aug. 15), HomeAdvisor offers the following tips to help homeowners save money with proper air conditioner maintenance:
- Change the filter every four-six weeks. Having a dirty filter can reduce the air conditioner’s efficiency.
- Clean off the outside air compressor with water. A garden hose will do the trick.
- Keep all objects away from the compressor so that it has a free flow of air.
- Have ductwork professionally cleaned every other year to help minimize dust.
- Have the air conditioning unit inspected by an HVAC professional if it seems to be running ineffectively or inefficiently. This professional can make deft adjustments to your unit to ensure that it is in prime condition. HomeAdvisor has thousands of screened and approved HVAC professionals across the nation.
A new central air conditioner can last 12 - 15 years if properly maintained. An annual inspection can catch things like leaks, dirty filters and worn belts -- all of which can end up costing significantly more if not addressed.
Learn more in this air conditioning maintenance video with HomeAdvisor’s Home Improvement Expert, Amy Matthews.
HomeAdvisor is a leading website and mobile app provider offering resources for home repair and improvement projects. HomeAdvisor’s patented ProFinder technology matches homeowner projects to the nation’s largest network of over 80,000 pre-screened, customer-reviewed home improvement professionals. Homeowners can make informed home project decisions using resources including: Pro Reviews, featuring reviews from homeowners who have actually been connected with the service professionals they review; Cost Guide, providing average costs for projects coast-to-coast; Home911, offering dedicated 24/7 emergency home repair support; as well as robust home tips and project planning tools. Access to all of the site’s features is free for homeowners, with no membership or fees required. HomeAdvisor is based in Golden, CO, and is a subsidiary of IAC (NASDAQ: IACI).
*Data for air conditioning unit repairs, services and installations collected from homeowner submitted service requests to HomeAdvisor.com between Jan.-Jun. 2013.