St. Louis, MO (PRWEB) July 13, 2013
More than 3,500 Lutherans are expected to attend the upcoming 65th Regular Convention of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS). Meeting under the theme "Baptized for This Moment" at the America’s Center Convention Complex in St. Louis July 20-25, the convention serves as the principal legislative assembly for the church body. Along with the consideration of some 116 resolutions, the convention includes opportunities for worship and fellowship.
Convention attendees include 1,200 voting delegates, 352 advisory delegates and representatives, pastors, teachers, other professional church workers and lay members representing the 2.3 million members of some 6,200 LCMS congregations across the United States and LCMS ministries around the world.
Significant issues coming before the convention include:
- Election of the six vice presidents, secretary and other Synod officers
- Confirmation of the LCMS Global Seminary Initiative to send qualified professors to teach at partner church seminaries around the world and assist international students who desire to study at LCMS seminaries in the U.S., thereby strengthening the teaching of confessional Lutheranism and preaching of the Gospel
- Support for The Wittenberg Project, a collaboration of the LCMS and its German partners to establish by 2017 a welcome center in Wittenberg, Germany, where Martin Luther posted his 95 Theses in 1517
- Enhancing the LCMS’ ability to reach across cultures with the Gospel by means of multilingual capabilities, particularly in Spanish
- Preparation for the defense of the Christian faith in times of persecution
- Emphasis on the biblical teaching of sexuality, marriage and family by seeking encouragement for the LCMS God’s Gift of Sexuality: Hope for Those Struggling with Same-Sex Attraction Task Force and development of practical ways to show mercy to those who have been caught up in sexual sin
- Encouragement for all congregations to study the Lutheran Confessions in celebration of the Reformation’s 500th anniversary
- Expansion of the Koinonia Project, a synodwide effort to bring greater harmony to the church’s "Life Together," part of its three-fold emphasis
- Ratification of altar and pulpit fellowship with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Liberia and the Siberian Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Recognition of the Lutheran Church of Togo – begun by LCMS mission efforts in 1980 – as an independent, self-governing church
- Study of the proper roles of men and women in the church
- Implementation of a process for continuing education for pastors
- Moving from a three-year to four-year convention cycle
The convention opens with a Divine Service Saturday, July 20, at 7:30 p.m. Special events include a response Sunday, July 21, from newly re-elected LCMS President Matthew C. Harrison and presentations Monday, July 22, honoring missionaries and military chaplains.
Highlights of mission in action across the Synod will continue throughout the convention. In the exhibit hall, about 100 vendors will showcase products and services to assist church workers in their ministries and lay members in their faith. A variety of evening events will provide opportunities for delegates and guests to join together in fellowship while enjoying local sites and activities.
Convention proceedings and the exhibit hall are open to the public. Business sessions will be streamed live via the Internet at http://www.lcms.org/convention/live and convention news also will be shared here:
About The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod
The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod is a biblical, confessional, witness-oriented Christian denomination with 2.3 million members – 600,000 households – in 6,200 congregations. Through acts of witness and mercy, the church carries out its mission worldwide to make known the love of Jesus Christ. Learn more at http://www.lcms.org.
INTERVIEW/PHOTO OPPORTUNTIES: Members of the media interested in covering the LCMS Synod convention live should contact Vicki Biggs to request newsroom credentials.
314-996-1236, 314-556-3829 (cell)