"During Wellness Week, we are offering residents the opportunity to learn about programs in their hometown that will help them make smart, healthy choices," said Maplewood's Deputy Mayor, Kathleen M. Leventhal.
Maplewood, NJ (PRWEB) August 06, 2013
The Township of Maplewood, in partnership with Overlook Medical Center-Atlantic Health System, announced today that the second annual “Maplewood Loves Wellness” week will take place between September 21 and September 27, 2013. To kick off the week, a public Wellness Fair will be held in Maplewood Memorial Park from noon to 3pm on Saturday, September 21. Throughout Wellness Week, Maplewood professionals and businesses will participate in open houses and presentations to encourage healthy living.
“The role of Maplewood Loves Wellness is to help residents explore the many options available locally to enhance all aspects of their health and well-being,” said Maplewood’s Deputy Mayor, Kathleen M. Leventhal. “During Wellness Week, we are offering residents the opportunity to learn about programs in their hometown that will help them make smart, healthy choices.”
Two new programs are being offered as part of this year’s events:
1) Community Walking Program: Count on Yourself Coaching, together with Maplewood Loves Wellness, will launch a free six-week community walking program. Maplewood residents can apply here to participate in this pilot program which includes coaching and a free pedometer; 40 initial participants will be chosen by lottery.
2) Healthy Cooking Contest: Maplewood-licensed food businesses can participate by preparing up to two healthy dishes in “sweet” or “savory” categories. The winners will be publicly announced during the Fair, and will be featured on the Township’s website. Maplewood-licensed food businesses can click here for Healthy Cooking Contest details.
Wellness Week activities are all free of charge and open to the public, and will include:
- Yoga, tai-chi and meditation classes
- Chair massages and talks on the benefits of chiropractic care
- Workshops on diabetes health, stress management, and other topics
- Healthy eating, cooking, and gardening workshops for children and adults
To learn more about the schedule of events planned for Wellness Week, please visit http://www.twp.maplewood.nj.us/index.aspx?NID=466. Vendor applications for the Wellness Fair and Wellness Week are also available online.
Maplewood’s Wellness program is being showcased by the NJ Mayors Wellness Campaign and the NJ League of Municipalities.