We Fix Now Respond to Carbon Monoxide Holiday Warnings

Share Article

The experts at We Fix Now have responded to research that shows that 40 people have been killed or injured by Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning whilst staying in holiday accommodation in the UK over the past two years.

News Image
The continued deaths and injuries in recent years, show a worrying lack of awareness of the causes of CO

Research collected by Gas Safe Register on 16th July, the UK’s official gas safety body, demonstrates a lack of understanding of how CO can kill. More than half of people do not know that bringing a smoking charcoal barbeque inside can cause CO poisoning. As a result, numerous deaths and injuries have befallen holidaymakers in Britain. Hazel Woodhams, 30, died in 2011 after bringing her barbeque inside, even though it was cold and no longer smoking. Knowing the signs of CO poisoning and faulty appliances is vital, as is the need to get gas appliances checked regularly.

Gas Safe Register and the All Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group (APPCOG) are issuing urgent advice. They advise checking for valid safety certificates for gas appliances when staying in rented accommodation or holiday cottages. In the UK, the owner is required by law to have gas appliances safety checked and serviced every year. Barry Sheerman MP, chair of APPCOG, told Gas Safe Register:

“The continued deaths and injuries in recent years, show a worrying lack of awareness of the causes of CO… It is vital people are aware of the causes of CO so they do not put their lives at risk, especially on holiday when we naturally have our guard down.”

We Fix Now, who provide Gas Safe registered engineers, as well as qualified emergency plumbers in Chigwell, throughout the M25, and the surrounding counties, warned about the importance of having gas appliances checked regularly. A spokesperson for the company commented on the news story:

“Carbon Monoxide has no smell, colour or taste, and kills silently. As a result, it is extremely important to have gas appliances checked regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer, such as those provided by We Fix Now.”

We Fix Now is a London-based company providing emergency plumbers and electricians throughout the M25 and surrounding counties. Renowned for their fast and effective service, the firm also specialise in unblocking drains, fixing central heating and boilers and sorting problems with gas. With a strong focus on customer service, We Fix Now prides itself on providing fully qualified and experienced engineers day and night, every day of the year.

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Lucy Jones
We Fix Now
020 85554 2003
Email >
Visit website