Faulty gas equipment can lead to Carbon Monoxide poisoning, which can be fatal.
(PRWEB UK) 15 August 2013
Eden Housing Association (EHA) were forced to obtain injunctions against tenants after they refused annual gas boiler servicing, reports the Cumberland and Westmorland Herald (12th Aug). Despite the checks being free to tenants, they repeatedly ignored attempts to contact them, and even officers visiting their home. The injunctions were granted by the court, and the tenants also faced legal costs.
The landlord is required by law to ensure annual gas safety checks and servicing. When the tenants denied them access, they not only breached their contract, but also put themselves and their neighbours at risk. Faulty gas equipment can lead to Carbon Monoxide poisoning, which can be fatal.
EHA Managing Director, John Clasper, commented on the incident:
“We were left with no choice but to go ahead with injunction action. It is a legal obligation for us as a landlord to carry out an annual test and inspection of gas appliances and installation pipe work in our properties and this is something we take very seriously… Failure to do our duty can lead to us being prosecuted, but it’s the safety and well-being of our tenants and the local community that matters most.”
We Fix Now, who provide Gas Safe registered engineers, electricians and plumbers in Romford, throughout London and the surrounding counties, urge the importance of regular gas safety checks. A spokesperson for the company commented on the matter:
“It is extremely important that your gas appliances are checked and serviced annually. Failure to do this could result in faulty appliances which can lead to Carbon Monoxide poisoning. A Carbon Monoxide alarm is advisable, but is no replacement for regular safety checks. To be safe, make sure you use a Gas Safe registered engineer like those provided by We Fix Now, and check their Gas Safe Register ID card.”
We Fix Now is a London-based company providing emergency plumbers and electricians throughout the M25 and surrounding counties. Renowned for their fast and effective service, the firm also specialise in unblocking drains, fixing central heating and boilers and sorting problems with gas. With a strong focus on customer service, We Fix Now prides itself on providing fully qualified and experienced engineers day and night, every day of the year.