The Impact program is very different from any substance abuse treatment these young adults have experienced.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL (PRWEB) August 14, 2013
Recognizing that relapse is frequently a part of the recovery process, The Recovery Place drug and alcohol rehab launches Impact, a four-week addiction treatment program for young adults ages 18 to 25 who are treatment-resistant, struggle with chronic relapse, or have a history of not completing treatment.
“Many of these young people are treatment savvy – they’ve ‘been there, done that,’” said Catherine Willner, Vice President, Florida Region for Elements Behavioral Health, The Recovery Place’s parent company. “Over and over, they’ve sat through the same process groups, they’ve heard the lectures, they’ve seen the videos, but the message isn’t getting through. Instead of throwing the same program at them and hoping it sticks this time, we recognized the need for a different approach – an approach of client engagement and action.”
Impact is an intensive, high-impact program that engages young adults in treatment in a completely different way than traditional drug rehab programs. Grounded in the 12-Step methodology, Impact focuses on hands-on skill-building and long-term behavioral change.
Young people in Impact have the opportunity to participate in groups they haven’t experienced and therapies they haven’t tried, actively drawing them in and engaging them in treatment. Rather than simply watching videos or listening to lectures, young people are interactively role playing, acting out situational vignettes, and problem-solving.
“The Impact program is very different from any substance abuse treatment these young adults have experienced,” said Jo-Anne Bliss, Psy.D., the clinical director at The Recovery Place and the creator of the Impact program. “We’re not just addressing substance abuse but also the underlying thoughts, feelings and skills deficits that contribute to and maintain addictive patterns.”
In keeping with The Recovery Place’s client-centered approach, the Impact program fits the clients’ needs rather than trying to fit the clients to the treatment. The treatment team, which is made up of recovery coaches, case managers and therapists designated specifically to the Impact program, adapts treatment to the specific needs of each client using innovative approaches such as:
- Anger Replacement Training, a structured, hands-on way to learn how to manage anger, make healthier decisions and cope with frustrations
- Substance Replacement Treatment, an approach adapted from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration to cultivate relapse prevention skills
- Personalized My 12-Step educational approach, allowing clients to analyze where they went wrong in their Steps and what changes they can make to ensure success this time
- Individual therapy sessions to give clients insight into their disease and address the underlying causes
- Group therapy sessions to give clients the opportunity to practice new coping skills and get feedback from their peers
- Gender-specific group therapy, allowing clients to identify and work through issues in the safety of a same-sex environment
- Recreational therapy to encourage positive social interaction and promote healthy fun
- Life skills training to empower clients with confidence and knowledge
- State-of-the-art medical services
After just one month, there is already a waiting list for the Impact program.
“The Impact program is an innovative way to address a problem that everyone knows is there but that has been largely ignored,” said Dr. Bliss. “We weren’t sure if the young adults would be responsive, but they are welcoming the opportunity to take a different approach to recovery and grow into responsible adults.”
About The Recovery Place
The Recovery Place Drug Rehab and Alcohol Treatment Center provides individualized and client-centered alcohol and drug addiction treatment with multiple programs to fit the need of individuals struggling with addiction. Located in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, The Recovery Place provides a comfortable environment with residential living to ensure the best in quality treatment and long-lasting addiction recovery. For more information about The Recovery Place, call (888) 585-9894 or visit http://www.therecoveryplace.net.
The Recovery Place is part of Elements Behavioral Health, a family of behavioral health care programs that also includes Promises Treatment Centers, The Ranch, The Sexual Recovery Institute, Spirit Lodge and Right Step. Elements offers comprehensive, innovative treatment for substance abuse, sexual addiction, trauma, eating disorders and other mental health disorders. We are committed to delivering clinically sophisticated treatment that promotes permanent lifestyle change, not only for the patient but for the entire family system. For more information about Elements Behavioral Health, visit http://www.elementsbehavioralhealth.com.