"Are you a true typographic aficionado – or type geek in training? Do you know more than a little type trivia? Then you might be ready to take the 2013 TypeCon (In)famous Type Quiz," said Alan Haley of Monotype
Woburn, Mass. (PRWEB) August 15, 2013
Monotype is a proud sponsor of TypeCon2013 – the annual conference presented by the non-profit Society of Typographic Aficionados (SOTA). Several of Monotype’s resident type experts from around the world will be sharing their knowledge and skills. Come by and join Monotype experts as they take a look at topics such as ornamentation and decorative lettering, and the modern legacy of the ampersand – which is a part of this year’s conference theme: Portl&.
TypeCon2013 not to miss highlights include:
– Bring your creativity and forget the technological side at TypeCon’s hand lettering workshop titled “Back to the Drawing Board: Exploring Letterforms by Hand.” Monotype’s Jim Wasco, together with Laura Worthington, will revisit lettering techniques including drawing, brush, broad-pen or crow-quill, chalk and ink. A rich assortment of examples will be shown to provide inspiration.
Wednesday, Aug. 21 from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. at the Pacific Northwest College of Art
– Join key members of the MyFonts team at “Font Marketing for Indie Type Designers & Foundries” a workshop drawing from their experience and insights into font marketing, learned from watching foundries experiment with various formulas for promotion in the “marketing playground” that is the MyFonts retail platform. Designed for micro foundries and independent type designers, this workshop will help them develop effective marketing plans. The MyFonts team will discuss how successful foundries have built effective marketing mixes using pricing promos, affiliate schemes, social media and merchandising, drawing on examples both from within MyFonts and from foundries that have remained totally independent. Finally, as MyFonts continues to develop its tools and systems for foundry support, they will discuss suggestions for new features and improvements to the platform.
Thursday, Aug. 22 from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. at the Pacific Northwest College of Art
– Carl Crossgrove will present “Type in 20: Roots of Ornament,” a visual review of highly ornamented lettering and type. Ornamentation and decorative lettering have resurfaced periodically in printed and hand-lettered work. Carl will examine how Celtic, Mediaeval, Renaissance and other periods have all birthed exquisite and elaborate decorative graphic works.
Friday, Aug. 23 at 10:50 a.m.
– Steve Matteson will present “Type in 20: Diggings from Many Ampersandhogs.” Steve will share the beauty, craftsmanship, scholarship and humor of the book “Diggings from Many Ampersandhogs,” which was printed by the NY Typophiles in 1937. Explore the origins of the written form of &; the evolution of the & as type; an article written on actual SANDpersand Paper; the strange tale of Gulliver’s travels to the Island of Et Cetereans; and a beautiful “ampersand machine” made from type ornaments.
Saturday, Aug. 24 at 2:45 p.m.
– 2013 (In)famous Type Quiz: This year’s brain-bending shindig will feature delicious desserts, refreshing cocktails, and the (In)famous Type Quiz with your host and Quizmaster Allan Haley who provided these details: “Are you a true typographic aficionado – or type geek in training? Do you know more than a little type trivia? Then you might be ready to take the 2013 TypeCon (In)famous Type Quiz. If you've taken the quiz before – or have last year’s results – it won’t help. We've got all new questions – with more than a couple dedicated to our host city. This year’s quiz will be even more fun and more rewarding than those in the past. There will be more prizes and even a series of questions for the typographically challenged. It promises to be an evening of food, fun and font frivolity.
Saturday, Aug. 24 from 8:30 - 11:00 p.m.
– Join Monotype’s Akira Kobayashi, together with John Downer and Matthew Carter during Sunday afternoon’s Type Crit where these masters of typographic analysis and elucidation will provide gentle, constructive criticism as they review the latest designs.
Sunday, Aug. 25 from 1:30- 3:00 p.m.
Please join Monotype at TypeCon2013 to talk about fonts and typography, and share typographic items of interest. For more information about the TypeCon2013 program, click here: http://www.typecon.com/program
Monotype is a leading global provider of typefaces, technology and expertise that enable the best user experience and ensure brand integrity. Based in Woburn, Mass., Monotype provides customers worldwide with typeface solutions for a broad range of creative applications and consumer devices. The company’s libraries and e-commerce sites are home to many of the most widely used typefaces – including the Helvetica®, Frutiger® and Univers® families – as well as the next generation of type designs. Further information is available at http://www.monotype.com.
Monotype, Helvetica and Frutiger are trademarks of Monotype Imaging Inc. registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be registered in certain jurisdictions. Univers is a trademark of Monotype GmbH registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be registered in certain jurisdictions. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2013 Monotype Imaging Holdings Inc. All rights reserved.
Source: Monotype Imaging