"If you do have cataracts, don't despair because cataract surgery is one of the commonly performed surgeries in the U.S. today," says Dr. John Davidson with NVISION.
Camarillo, CA (PRWEB) August 25, 2013
August is the American Academy of Ophthalmology’s (AAO) National Cataract Awareness Month. With summer still not over, NVISION Laser Eye Centers’ ophthalmologists want to remind you that too much sun exposure, and not enough protection, can lead to early cataracts.
Today, cataracts affect more than 22 million Americans age 40 and older, and as the U.S. population ages, more than 30 million Americans are expected to have cataracts by the year 2020.
“We wanted to remind our Southern California seniors and baby boomers that they are at an increased risk of developing cataracts if they don’t protect their eyes from the sun,” says Dr. John Davidson, who performs laser cataract surgery at NVISION Laser Eye Centers in Camarillo and San Luis Obispo.
Here are some simple suggestions by Dr. Davidson on how to protect your eyes from the sun:
- Sun damage to eyes can occur anytime during the year, not just in the summertime, so be sure to wear UV-blocking sunglasses and broad-brimmed hats whenever you're outside.
- Don't be fooled by clouds: The sun's rays can pass through haze and thin clouds.
- Never look directly at the sun. Looking directly at the sun at any time, including during an eclipse, can lead to solar retinopathy, which is permanent damage to the eye's retina from solar radiation.
- Don't forget the kids and older family members: Everyone is at risk, including children and senior citizens. Protect their eyes with hats and sunglasses.
- Be conscious about the medications you are taking. Certain medications, such as tetracycline, sulfa drugs, birth control pills, diuretics and tranquilizers, can increase your body's sensitivity to UV light.
“If you do have cataracts, don’t despair because cataract surgery is one of the most commonly performed surgeries in the U.S. today with more than three million procedures a year,” says Dr. Davidson.
In addition, Dr. Davidson points out that modern cataract surgery is one of the most successful elective surgeries available today. Cataract surgery is an outpatient procedure with minimal to no pain, and limited down time. Most patients can see some improvement in vision within the next day or two. Today, nearly any type of cataract can be removed in an efficient manner.
About NVISION Laser Eye Centers
NVISION Laser Eye Centers now has 17 locations throughout California. NVISION Laser Eye Centers is the first provider in California to offer LASIK eye surgery with the Swiss-engineered Ziemer Femto LDVD Crystal Line™ Laser -- the highest level of laser vision correction available today. NVISION is also the first provider in California to offer the bladeless, computer-controlled LenSx laser, unquestionably the most technologically advanced option for laser cataract surgery.
With more than 1300 eye doctors who refer their patients and trust their own eyes to NVISION surgeons, NVISION Laser Eye Centers is the Eye Doctors’ #1 Choice.
For more information, visit http://www.NVISIONCenters.com or call 1-877-91NVISION (1-877-916-8474).