Please join us as we clean, garden, landscape, paint, set up classrooms, collect school supplies and more, to make a difference in the lives of the children of our communities.
McAllen, TX (PRWEB) August 28, 2013
Volunteers needed to Serve Our Schools on Sept. 14.
3rd annual event prepares students for successful school year.
For the third year in a row, volunteers will join hearts and hands to get students, teachers and school facilities throughout the area ready for a successful school year during Serve Our Schools on Saturday, September 14. Last year, more than 1,000 participated in the event throughout the Rio Grande Valley.
“When we Serve Our Schools, we help give our students a fresh start to the quality education they deserve,” said Susan Hellums, event coordinator. “We also show support to the teachers, administrators and support staff that make our schools strong. Please join us as we clean, garden, landscape, paint, set up classrooms, collect school supplies and more, to make a difference in the lives of the children of our communities.”
Serve Our Schools volunteers are asked to meet at the following locations and times on September 14:
- McAllen – 8 a.m. until 12 p.m. – meet at school of choice:
- Cathey Middle – 1800 N. Cynthia St.
- Morris Middle – 1400 Trenton Rd.
- Roosevelt Elementary – 4801 S. 26th St.
- Thigpen/Zavala Elementary – 2500 Galveston
- Mercedes – 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. – John F. Kennedy Elementary – 801 Hidalgo St.
- Brownsville – 7:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. –First United Methodist Church – 1225 Boca Chica Blvd.
- La Feria – 9:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. – C.E. Vail Elementary – 209 W. Jessamine
- Raymondville – 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. – L.C. Smith Elementary – 700 N. 1st St.
- Weslaco – 8 a.m. – 3 p.m. – Silva Elementary – 1001 W. Mile 10 Rd.
- Falfurrias – 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. – First United Methodist Church – 302 W. Allen
- Mission – 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. – Mission First United Methodist Church – 1101 Doherty
Serve Our Schools is organized by local United Methodist churches, and sponsored by United Methodist Communications. Keep McAllen Beautiful is also a sponsor of the McAllen project.
The event urges participants to Rethink Church and utilizes outreach to make a difference in the world beyond church doors.
For more information, and to register to volunteer, please visit http://www.ServeOurSchools.org.
About Rethink Church
Rethink Church, the next evolution of The United Methodist Church’s “Open hearts” welcoming and advertising campaign, highlights the many opportunities available within United Methodist churches to engage with the world—from literacy programs to feeding the poor. At http://www.RethinkChurch.org, visitors may interact, learn more about the church, and search for involvement opportunities.