Getting a needle-stick injury can be one of the most worrying and stressful things for a healthcare professional, with the risk of viral transfers from patient to doctor.
Wiltshire (PRWEB UK) 3 September 2013
Getting a needle-stick injury can be one of the most worrying and stressful things for a healthcare professional, with the risk of viral transfers from patient to doctor. Sharps injuries are one of the most common healthcare injuries and should not be underestimated. Not only is there risk of infection from 30 potentially dangerous blood-borne pathogens and healthcare associated infections, including Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and HIV(1), there is also a cost involved for the NHS.
To support the EU Directive 2010/32/EU on the prevention of sharps injuries in the hospital and healthcare sector, Vygon (UK) Ltd has now upgraded all standard cannulation packs to include the safety cannula Biovalve Safe. In addition to this you can develop your own VYSET® custom pack with sharp safe items including safety scalpels and hypodermic needles.
Vygon also has a number of sharp safe components supplied as standard across their product ranges, including:
- SeldiSafe®, an 18G 70mm CVC introducer needle with a safety mechanism concealed in the hub
- An echogenic tipped safety needle included in the MST kit
- Pre-loaded SAF-T-PEXY needles, a safety scalpel and safety introducer needle included in the MIC Introducer Kit
- Bionector, the 7 day/360 access, closed, needle-free, IV access system
- Perfusafe, a safety huber needle.
Watch this space for more additions to the safety range.
1. Strauss K, Sharps Prevention Legislation. Journal of Anaesthesia Practice, Vol 7, Issue 4, Aug 2013 http://www.japractice.co.uk/article/sharps-prevention-legislation/#&panel1-1
Vygon (UK) Ltd
About Vygon (UK) Ltd
Vygon (UK) Ltd is dedicated to the supply of single-use medical and surgical products. The company is a leading provider of intravenous access devices to the NHS. Brand names include; Multicath, Lifecath, Leadercath, Bionector, Biovalve and MIC.
Vygon (UK) Ltd is part of the The Vygon Group of Companies which have supplied the healthcare profession for over 50 years. The Vygon Group is a global manufacturer of single-use medical and surgical products. Internationally it designs, manufactures and markets more than 100 million products in 110 countries, all in accordance with ISO 9001 and EN 46001 standards.
For further information, please contact:
Katie Kingston, Marketing & Customer Communications Manager
T: 01793 748830