This year’s contest broke all records, with no less than 127 projects submitted from 28 countries by 97 engineering and construction companies.
Herk-de-Stad, Belgium (PRWEB) September 04, 2013
The Nemetschek Structural Group, the world premier developer of structural engineering software that supports the BIM process, revealed the winners of its 2013 Inspirations in Engineering contest. The competition highlights unique works and innovative achievements from the world’s top engineering and construction firms.
An independent, international jury of nine engineering specialists from industry, research and education evaluated 127 entries from 28 countries to choose this year’s winners. Winners were selected in four categories and judged by the project’s originality, complexity and use of software in an Open BIM workflow.
The four category winners are:
Cat. 1 - Buildings:
- SICA with the Museum of European and Mediterranean Civilizations (Marseille, France)
Cat. 2 - Civil Structures:
- Ney & Partners with "Vluchthaven" Footbridge (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
Cat. 3 - Industrial Buildings and Plants:
- ARCADIS Belgium with Aircraft Hangar with Offices (Brussels, Belgium)
Cat. 4 - Special Projects:
- VISIA s.r.o. with Roofing Gas Station (Matúškovo, Slovak Republic)
Two additional special prizes were awarded:
Special "Open BIM" Jury Prize:
- Grontmij Nederland BV with New Energy Institute Wuhan (Wuhan, China)
Prize for Fabrication and Execution:
- AECOM with the Serpentine Gallery Pavilion 2013 (London, U.K.)
Qualified entries and contest winners will be published in Inspirations in Engineering, a 300-page book available in hardcover print and electronic formats. Winners were awarded a 1,500 € (USD$1,955) cash prize.
Dr. ir. Jean-Pierre Rammant, head of the Nemetschek Structural Group, explains, "This eighth edition of our Engineering Awards is a real celebration and tribute to the outstanding works of our users. This year’s contest broke all records, with no less than 127 projects submitted from 28 countries by 97 engineering and construction companies. These high-quality projects illustrate what great engineers can accomplish with our technology. We are proud of our users, as well as their contribution to the global engineering community."
Open BIM and Sustainability
Mr. Rammant stresses the indispensable role of Open BIM and the importance of sustainability in this year’s Awards, which the jury confirmed when awarding a Special "Open BIM" Jury Prize to Grontmij, for their New Energy Institute Wuhan project (also called the Energy Flower). This Calla lily-shaped building is hailed as one of the most sustainable building in the world, and it is expected to be both zero carbon and zero energy.
In referring to the project, the Jury commented, "We were very impressed with the unique and stunning design, the ‘Outstanding’ BREEAM rating [expected to be the first office building in the world to achieve the BREEAM ‘Outstanding’ rating] for environmental performance, and its commitment to BIM. Highest achievable durability was a primary design goal. The project will form an education/training platform for the future."
Inspirations in Engineering Book
All 127 qualified entries are commemorated in a colourful, 300-page book titled Inspirations in Engineering. The book describes the detailed technical challenges of each project and how the Nemetschek Structural Group software was applied. More than 5,000 hardcover copies will be distributed free of charge.
Links for more information:
- Introduction to the winners and nominees: http://nemetschek-scia.com/en/company/news/winners-nemetschek-structural-user-contest-2013-inspirations-engineering-are-known
- Link to Inspirations in Engineering eBook: http://books.nemetschek-scia.com/UC2013/
- Regulations of this 2013 User Contest "Inspirations in Engineering": http://notesweb.scia-online.com/www/Contest2013.nsf/0/0482AC2F469057E1C125775800364C56?OpenDocument
- More info on the Nemetschek Structural Group: http://nemetschek-scia.com/en/about-nemetschek-structural-group
- Order your free copy of the User Contest 2013 Book Inspirations in Engineering: http://nemetschek-scia.com/en/forms/nemetschek-structural-user-contest-book-order-form
For the Press
Please download our Press materials here: http://events.nemetschek-scia.com/uc2013-press
This page includes:
- This press release in English, Portuguese, Dutch, French, German, Slovak and Czech
- User Contest 2013 book - "Inspirations in Engineering" in PDF format
- Leaflet with introduction and jury quote of the winners in seven languages
- Separate PDF files of all winning projects
- Company logos of all winners
- Screenshots / pictures of all winning projects
- Logo of the Nemetschek Structural Group
About the Nemetschek Structural Group
The Nemetschek Structural Group is a world premier developer and vendor of structural engineering software that covers the entire design process from design, through fabrication, to final construction.
Group members and software:
- Nemetschek Scia: Scia Engineer & Scia Steel Manager
- Nemetschek Allplan: Allplan Engineering
- Nemetschek Frilo: Frilo Statics
- Nemetschek Engineering: Allplan Precast & TIM
- Glaser: Glaser -isb cad-
The Nemetschek Structural Group is part of the Nemetschek Group, a leading global software provider for the Architecture, Engineering and Construction market (AEC). Headquartered in Munich, Germany, it serves more than 300,000 customers in 142 countries worldwide. Nemetschek was founded in 1963 by Prof. Georg Nemetschek and the group focuses on innovations such as Open BIM for the AEC market of tomorrow.
Attn. Mr. Francis Vanderbruggen
3540 Herk-de-Stad (Belgium)
Tel.: (+32) 013 55.17.75
Fax: (+32) 013 55.41.75
General website: nemetschek-scia.com
Contest website: nemetschek-scia.com/