Baltimore, Maryland (PRWEB) September 10, 2013
The Baltimore District Council of The Urban Land Institute is hosting its fifth annual WaveMaker Awards program on October 3, 2013. The jury has selected the Award Winners which will be announced during the event.
For decades, ULI has recognized outstanding real estate development projects, related programs, and visionaries in urban development through its global “Awards of Excellence” program. ULI Baltimore’s annual WaveMaker Awards Event recognizes local real estate development projects, as well as a Lifetime Achievement Award winner.
The WaveMaker Awards “Call for Entries” went out to the real estate community earlier this year. The jury convened to review the submissions and selected the winners based on the following criteria:
- COMPLETENESS - A project must be substantially complete and financially viable. A program and/or process (i.e. growth management strategy or publicly guided development program) must be fully implemented and must be a sound investment of private and/or public funds in terms of their success in transforming communities and neighborhoods.
- A SENSE OF PLACE AND QUALITY – The project reflects the special characteristics of the locality, community, and region in which it is located OR creates an inspiring environment that becomes an important anchor of the surrounding community. In addition, the project shall achieve a high standard of excellence in all areas – design, construction, economics, marketing, and management.
- SUSTAINABILITY – The project must incorporate elements of sustainability such as being in a priority funding area (preferably a redevelopment or infill site), use of existing infrastructure, green technologies (building and/or site), use of alternative transportation methods, transit oriented design, and addressing existing local neighborhood needs such as job training, employment growth, educational and recreational programs for all ages.
- VISIONARY AND EMULATION – The project must step out from the norm, taking a concept to a brand new level that others will want to emulate.
- A NEED – The project must respond to the unique needs of the area in which it is located and to the customers it will serve.
Additionally, a Lifetime Achievement Award winner is chosen each year. The Lifetime Achievement Award is given to a recognized leader in the development community that has served more than two decades; has touched all aspects of development (acquisition, design, financing, implementation); has touched a variety of different land uses (retail, office residential, hospitality, etc.); can be a developer, builder, contractor, consultant, financier; someone that the vast majority of people would say “that makes sense – they are the right person”; and has volunteered their time and/or resources to help advance the industry.
This year Thomas S. Bozzuto, Chairman and CEO of The Bozzuto Group will be honored.
The 2013 WaveMaker Award’s program will take place on October 3rd at Pazo’s located at 1425 Aliceanna Street in Baltimore. Online registration is available by visiting http://www.baltimore.uli.org and clicking on Events, or by calling 1-800-321-5011. For more information, contact Pauline M. Harris, ULI Baltimore District Council Coordinator, at 410-889-1173 or via email at Pauline(dot)Harris(at)uli(dot)org.