Kellis Law Offers DUI Crackdown Tips
DUI arrests spiked over Labor Day Weekend and drivers are facing more intense scrutiny than ever before.
York, PA (PRWEB) September 05, 2013
Local police decided to participate in a DUI crackdown that arrested tens of thousands of drivers over the Labor Day holiday weekend, according to the York Daily Record (08.8.2013). DUI defense lawyer Steven Kellis says that many of those drivers are ordinary people with no criminal record.
“Everyone thinks drunk driving is something only bad people do,” said Kellis, the founder of the Law Offices of Steven E. Kellis. “The truth is most law-abiding citizens have probably exceeded the legal limit and never even known it.”
Kellis' firm offers tips for handling a DUI crackdown:
Know the limit. Many drivers mistakenly think they're clean if they've had only one or two drinks. But Pennsylvania law sets the DUI threshold at just .08% blood alcohol content – a limit that many people can reach in a single drink.
- Drugs count too. The law treats driving under the influence the same whether it's alcohol, illegal drugs or even legal drugs. Anyone using prescription painkillers, over the counter cold medicine, marijuana or other drugs could be convicted of DUI.
- Stay calm. If you have been drinking and driving and the police pull you over, stay calm and be safe and cooperative. Attempting to flee or argue with the police will always make things worse.
- Don't incriminate yourself. You are not required to admit that you've been drinking.
- Agree to take breath, urine or blood tests. Unless you have a medical reason not to, it's best to take the tests asked of you. Refusing to take an alcohol or drug test will make the DUI penalties worse.
- Talk to a lawyer. Without a proper defense, even a first time DUI conviction can cost $10,000 in fines and fees, carry a jail sentence, and result in a suspended license. With a good DUI defense lawyer, you can often avoid the worst penalties or even have the charges dropped.
“DUI laws often criminalize ordinary people,” Kellis said. “Don't face the court system alone.”
About Steven Kellis:
Steven E. Kellis is a Pennsylvania DUI lawyer with 20 years of experience. He focuses his practice exclusively on DUI defense. He can be contacted at:
The Law Offices of Steven E. Kellis
Two Penn Center Plaza
1500 John F. Kennedy Boulevard
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19102