An investigation by Shrewsbury fire officials and the Massachusetts Fire Marshall’s office revealed that the fire was started by a cigarette that was thrown onto a bed of mulch located near the home.
Shrewsbury, MA (PRWEB) September 12, 2013
A recent house fire in Shrewsbury, MA unfortunately caused over $100,000 in damages to the family’s two story home on Salisbury Street. The fire started during the night, and firefighters arrived at 2 a.m. to find the home’s three season porch totally filled with flames, according to Wicked Local on August 28th. Although firefighters were thankfully able to extinguish the fire quickly and no one was injured, the home suffered from serious damages and the family was displaced.
An investigation by Shrewsbury fire officials and the Massachusetts Fire Marshall’s office revealed that the fire was started by a cigarette that was thrown onto a bed of mulch located near the home. Due to these events, Mancuso-Nowak Insurance Agency of Shrewsbury decided to release fire safety tips to local residents in order to help prevent accidents like this from occurring in the future.
- Be sure to inspect any heating equipment, and resolve damages or issues as soon as they occur.
- Keep the stovetop and burners clean and free from grease.
- Regularly clean and inspect chimneys to prevent build-up.
- Keep flammable home objects such as drapes or other furnishings away from heating equipment, particularly space heaters.
- Never leave the room while cooking on the stove.
- Install smoke detectors on every floor of the home and outside of each bedroom. Make sure that these are working properly by testing them and replacing the batteries in each detector at least once a year. Don’t rely on hearing the chirping noise to realize the batteries are running low!
- Create and practice a fire escape plan, and educate children what to do in the event of smoke or a fire in the house.
In addition to these crucial home fire safety tips, Mancuso-Nowak Insurance Agency also suggests families to use fire-proof safes to store valuable items and paperwork such as birth certificates, deeds, mortgages, etc. It’s also a good idea to keep an inventory of items and possessions in the house, so that if a fire does occur, filing a home insurance claim will be easier.
Is your family’s home protected from fire damage? Contact an agent at Mancuso-Nowak by calling 888-499-7237 or visiting their website to learn more about your home insurance options.
About Mancuso-Nowak Insurance Agency:
If protection is what you need, Mancuso-Nowak Agency is who you should call. Conveniently located on Route 9 in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, the local agency has been providing full-service insurance solutions to residents for years. Whether its personal or business, the agency embraces all clients with open arms. A highly trained staff assists every individual or business with risk assessment, and solutions to protect all that matters most in their worlds. A proud member of the Renaissance Alliance, the agency is able to access more insurance companies and products than the average local agency and looks forward to helping all of Massachusetts.