If food that’s nearing an expiration date won’t be used, donate it to a non-profit food pantry.
Nashville, Tenn. (PRWEB) September 12, 2013
According to a report from ABC News and other media outlets, the United Nations announced on Sept. 11, 2013, that one-third of the food that is produced around the world gets wasted. This results in a loss of approximately $750 billion a year.
In affluent areas, the main cause of waste is consumer behavior, while in developing countries, most of this food is wasted because of inadequate harvesting techniques. In addition to the fact that many people are starving while perfectly good food goes to waste, the wasted food also causes carbon emissions, extra water consumption and the reduction of biodiversity.
Food4Patriots, the supplier of emergency food suitable for long-term storage, survival and emergency preparedness, helps people prepare for a crisis. The company says that with an estimated 17 million children in the U.S. going to bed hungry every night, it’s time to stop wasting food.
Following are Food4Patriots’ top six ways to avoid wasting food:
- Make a specific list of items needed before going to the supermarket and stick to it. Don’t be a victim of impulse buys that often end up being tossed out.
- Eat dinner leftovers for lunch the next day, and maybe even for dinner the next evening if there is still food left over.
- Go through the pantry and freezer to find food items that are nearing their expiration dates and put a meal together with them.
- Eat before going grocery shopping. A hungry shopper is more likely to buy food that he or she will end up throwing out.
- Make fewer trips to the supermarket. The more trips that are made, the more food will be purchased and possibly the more will be thrown out.
- If food that’s nearing an expiration date won’t be used, donate it to a non-profit food pantry.
Food4Patriots launched a product line in July that includes 72-hour, four-week and three-month emergency food kits, selling more than 500,000 adult-sized servings of Food4Patriots survival food to concerned patriots within the first few weeks.
The food in these emergency kits can be prepared in less than 20 minutes and requires nothing more than boiling water. It is kept in easy-to-store Mylar pouches, which keep out air, moisture and light. Shelf lives are up to 25 years. Among the nutritious foods that are part of the Food4Patriots’ kits are:
- Mountain Man Granola
- Apple Orchard Oatmeal
- Granny’s Homestyle Potato Soup
- Blue Ribbon Cheesy Chicken Rice
- Ol’ 49ers Hearty Chili
- Creamy Beef Stroganoff
- Frank’s Five Star Minestrone.
Those who order one of the Food4Patriots Emergency Kits will also receive four reports: “Top 10 Items Sold Out After Crisis,” “The Water Survival Guide,” “The Survival Garden Guide” and “How to Cut Your Grocery Bills in Half.”
Patriot Headquarters publishes articles, videos and news to help patriots become more self-reliant and independent from government and big business.