Washington Crossing, PA (PRWEB) September 16, 2013
Charles (Chip) Whitney, MD, owner of Revolutionary Health Services in Washington Crossing, Pennsylvania, is one of the nation's leading advocates and educators regarding the Third Era of Medicine, which represents a major change in the mindset of physicians, as well as patients who are motivated to create their own health.
Dr. Whitney will explain how dentists can apply the principles of Third Era Medicine at The American Academy of Oral Systemic Health’s Third Annual Scientific Session on September 20th-22nd in Las Vegas, during his lecture entitled “Creating a Third Era Dental Practice.”
Whether it be medical or dental, at its core, a Third Era Practice attempts to bridge the gap between the standard of care and optimal care by using innovative and underutilized technologies and methods that have been proven and supported by respected institutions such as The Cleveland Clinic and The American Heart Association.
According to Dr. Whitney, “Health in America is in crisis and poor health is bankrupting our country. We can no longer focus on just reacting to chronic disease without changing our patients’ health path. As allied healthcare professionals; physicians, dentists and hygienists should care for the whole patient and not just our respective body parts.”
During his presentation, Dr. Whitney will show why it is critical for dental professionals to adopt the principles of Third Era Medicine and explain the positive impact that dental professionals can have on the nation’s public health. In addition, he will demonstrate practical ways to get into the mind of physicians, emphasize the oral-systemic connection, and motivate them to refer their patients to dental practices just as they would medical specialists.
Dr. Whitney strongly recognizes that poor oral health can strongly impact a patient's overall health and has become one of dentistry’s strongest physician allies. Here are some examples:
- Partnered with key opinion leader Richard Nagelberg, DDS, to introduce their respective patients to the Carotid Intima-Media Thickness (CIMT) Ultrasound ̶ a non-invasive, state-of-the-art test that can detect soft plaque earlier than any other screening test available.
- Authored a “Viewpoint” guest editorial in Dentistry Today, criticizing the confusing message issued by The American Heart Association regarding whether or not there is enough evidence to support the link between periodontal disease and heart disease.
- An active member of the American Academy for Oral Systemic Health ̶ A strong proponent of physician-dentist collaboration to treat the entire patient in order to achieve optimal overall health.
- Uses the MyPerioPath® salivary diagnostic test from OralDNA Labs on patients to detect whether high risk oral bacteria are a contributor their cardiovascular disease.
- When appropriate, refers sleep apnea patients to qualified dentists for custom-fitted oral appliances in order to control their sleep-disordered breathing.
- Authored the 4-part continuing education course entitled “A Comprehensive Review of Vascular Disease,” which is posted on INeedCE.com. The purpose of the course is to help dental professionals understand their critical role in treating and preventing the cause of heart attacks and strokes.
“Of all the allied health practitioners that I collaborate with, dental professionals may ultimately play the biggest supporting role in combating and preventing systemic disease. For the sake of our patients, we need to close the loop on medicine and dentistry by adopting Third Era principles,” explained Dr. Whitney.
Dr. Whitney expresses these views on-camera along with other industry experts in a new feature-length documentary, “Say Ahh: The Cavity in Healthcare Reform” that will debut at the AAOSH Annual Scientific session. The film explains that the answer to our nation’s health problems is right under our noses ̶ inside our mouths. It showcases the unsung heroes of our medical industry: our dentists and dental teams. This documentary also illustrates how, by taking a proactive approach to health care, we can arrest the decline in our health, thus saving billions of dollars and millions of lives. For more information visit http://www.SayAhhTheMovie.com.
To learn more about Third Era Medicine, download the free article entitled “The Third Era of Medicine: A Functional Approach to restoring the Health of America,” from http://www.RevolutionaryHealthServices.com. You can also contact Dr. Whitney at 215-321-1371.
About Dr. Charles (Chip) Whitney and Revolutionary Health Services:
Dr. Charles Whitney graduated from Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia in 1990 and completed his family practice residency at the David Grant United States Air Force Medical Center. He is double board certified in Family Medicine and Sports Medicine. His experience includes seven years as an Air Force physician and seven years in the University of Pennsylvania Health System before establishing his own direct primary care practice, Revolutionary Health Services in 2003. Dr. Whitney is a former vice president of the American Academy of Private Physicians (AAPP), a nonprofit organization founded in 2003 for the purpose of supporting the growth of medical practices that provide personalized direct primary care. For more information, visit http://www.RevolutionaryHealthServices.com. Follow Revolutionary Health Services on Facebook.