When patients consider cosmetic procedures, they seek out the skin experts – ASDS member dermatologists. ASDS members are trained and experienced in the wide spectrum of available cosmetic treatments.
Rolling Meadows, Ill. (PRWEB) September 20, 2013
By a substantial margin, consumers are bothered by excess body weight more than any other cosmetic condition, according to survey data from the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS).
More than four out of five consumers say excess weight is their greatest cosmetic concern, more than lines and wrinkles around the eyes, skin texture/color or a half dozen other conditions, according to the 2013 ASDS Consumer Survey on Cosmetic Dermatologic Procedures. The blind online survey of 6,300 consumers asked for opinions on cosmetic treatments in general and ratings for 10 specific procedures.
Fortunately, excess body fat is treatable with several nonsurgical or minimally invasive body sculpting procedures that ASDS members have pioneered and/or specialize in, including:
- Tumescent liposuction – the use of local anesthesia in large volumes of subcutaneous fat, allowing liposuction to be performed safely in an office setting.
- Cryolipolysis – the cooling of body fat to break down fat cells.
- Laserlipolysis – a procedure for the removal of stubborn pockets of fat such as saddlebags, love handles and double chins.
“Excess body fat is a leading concern for our patients for health as well as beauty reasons,” said ASDS President Timothy C. Flynn, M.D. “ASDS member dermatologic surgeons have been at the forefront of this battle by pioneering and perfecting minimally invasive body sculpting techniques such as tumescent liposuction.”
Lines and wrinkles around the eyes rank next on the list with more than three out of five saying the condition troubles them. ASDS members specialize in the top treatments available for these lines and wrinkles, including:
- Wrinkle-relaxing injections – the use of Botox, Dysport and other neuromodulators to smooth lines and deep wrinkles.
- Soft-tissue fillers – the use of Juvederm, Restylane and other injectable fillers to erase lines by filling and plumping furrows and hollows in the face.
- Chemical peels – the removal of outer skin layers, allowing the regeneration of fresh skin.
“Lines and wrinkles around the eyes are not only common concerns but easily correctable ones with the right procedure and the right doctor,” Dr. Flynn said. “Consumers not only choose dermatologic surgeons most often to perform their wrinkle-relaxing and soft-tissue filler injections, but also report a 92 percent satisfaction rate – the highest in the survey – for the procedures.”
Last year, ASDS members performed 1.5 million neuromodulator treatments (a nearly 25 percent increase over the previous year) and 916,000 soft-tissue filler procedures (a 10 percent increase).
Skin texture/color is the next biggest cosmetic worry with three out of five consumers saying the condition bothers them and two out of three considering a procedure to treat it. ASDS member dermatologists specialize in several laser/light procedures that treat skin texture and color – performing nearly 1.7 million of the procedures in 2012 – including:
- Photorejuvenation – the use of intense pulsed light or other thermal or chemical methods to treat some skin conditions and remove wrinkles.
- Microdermabrasion – the application of tiny rough particles to the skin to remove the uppermost layer, allowing new skin cells to surface.
- Photo therapy – the use of ultraviolet light to treat various skin conditions.
- Laser resurfacing – the removal of outer skin layers, allowing newer cells to surface.
“When patients consider cosmetic procedures, they seek out the skin experts – ASDS member dermatologists,” Dr. Flynn said. “ASDS members are trained and experienced in the wide spectrum of available cosmetic treatments.”
Survey respondents indicated that acne scars (24 percent) is the cosmetic condition that least bothers them followed by hair loss (41 percent).
About the ASDS
The American Society for Dermatologic Surgery is the largest specialty organization exclusively representing dermatologic surgeons who have unique training and experience to treat the health, function and beauty of the skin. ASDS members are pioneers in the field. Many are involved in the clinical studies that bring popular treatments to revitalize skin and fill and diminish wrinkles to the forefront. Their work has helped create and enhance many of the devices that remove blemishes, hair and fat, and tighten skin. ASDS members also are experts in skin cancer prevention, detection and treatment. As the incidence of skin cancer rises, ASDS members are committed to taking steps to minimize the life-threatening effects of this disease. For more information, visit asds.net.