Kalamazoo, MI (PRWEB) September 23, 2013
Whether it’s a watercraft or recreational vehicle, for the most part, these are seasonal vehicles. In Michigan, winter can be cold and long – and for many residents, the difference between a costly maintenance bill in the spring and a recreational vehicle that is ready to go is their winterization preparation. The Farmer’s Almanac may predict a mild winter in Michigan, but that does not mean residents should not be prepared for snow and cold.
At Nulty Insurance, the local agents remind residents that the best way to get prepared in the fall for the cold season ahead is by winterizing recreational vehicles. Many people do not realize how hard the cold can be on vehicles that are unequipped to handle it – and storage is only half the battle!
Whether it’s a motorcycle, RV or even a boat, remember that winterization is one of the most significant things when it comes to prolonging the life and enjoyment of a vehicle.
Before beginning the winterization process, be prepared with the following materials:
1. It is important to change a vehicle’s oil at the beginning of the winter and the end. This helps keep the engine healthy and motorists should never leave the engine or oil sitting for a long time – this can cause moisture build up – this can lead to corrosion and rust.
2. If the vehicle is a motorcycle or battery based vehicle, disconnect it from the terminals and store the battery in a cool dry place.
3. Check and replace any necessary filters at the end of the season of use. This will ensure everything is ready to go once the warmer weather comes back.
4. Fill up the fuel tank and add a fuel stabilizer. This will keep the gas from getting old, sticky and gooey. Untreated fuel in a tank can solidify over the winter and clog openings in the tank.
5. Check and replace all liquids in the vehicle – this includes antifreeze and coolants.
6. Prepare the exterior of the vehicle to avoid corrosion and deterioration. This could be as simple as purchasing a tarp, or as extreme as purchasing a storage unit. For water-based vehicles, winterization typically requires storage outside of the water – keep that in mind and budget for it.
Of course, always be sure insurance is up to date. Recreational vehicle insurance can be one of the most important expenses a motorist incurs. In Michigan, Nulty Insurance staffs agents who are experts in this. All residents are encouraged to dial 877-830-3099 or stop by to learn how to protect their investment with reliable and comprehensive insurance.
About Nulty Insurance:
Since 1945, Nulty Insurance has been a family-owned insurance agency. Committed to building a reputation for being "simply the best" agency in Southwest Michigan, the agency focuses on bringing clients the best products, with the most personal service, in the insurance industry. Built on innovation, security, and integrity, Nulty has earned the trust of Michigan residents by providing superior service, a quality product, and a competitive price. The insurance industry is an ever-changing environment. Fortunately, at Nulty Insurance the agents are on top of these changes in order to best serve the Michigan community. Looking for comprehensive insurance services that meet your personal needs? Call 877-830-3099 today.