East Brunswick, N.J. (PRWEB) September 23, 2013
Gold Medal Service, an award-winning multispecialty heating, cooling, plumbing, electrical, drain and waterproofing service company in New Jersey has created an environmentally-friendly eight-point checklist to show homeowners ways to reduce their home maintenance costs, save money on energy bills and help minimize their environmental impact.
"By adopting some of our tips below, you can save money and help the environment by using less energy," said Mike Agugliaro, Gold Medal Service’s co-founder. "I think everyone would like to save a little money these days, so why not go green at the same time if you can? Homeowners who try even one tip will see savings and help reduce their energy usage."
Agugliaro offers the following tips to New Jersey homeowners:
1. Install a low-flow shower head. Low-flow showerheads are more cost efficient, reduce bathing water consumption by up to 70 percent and use less energy heating up the water.
2. Wash laundry in cold water. Washing with cold water will save you 94 percent on water heating bills. (Heating hot water accounts for 90 percent of the energy used by your machine.)
3. Unplug items like desktop computers when you log off. Save energy and money by turning off your computer at the end of each day. You could save an average of $90 a year.
4. Replace your air filters on a regular basis. Dirt and neglect are the top causes of heating and cooling system inefficiency and failure. Replacing dirty filters every month or so can result in yearly energy savings of 20 percent or more.
5. Replace regular light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs. Compact fluorescent light bulbs use about 75 percent less energy than standard incandescent, plus they last much longer.
6. Turn down your thermostat in winter. Setting the thermostat at 68°F while you are at
home and lower while you are asleep can save you up to 15 percent on your heating bills annually.
7. Take care of drafty doors, windows and flooring. When properly installed by a knowledgeable homeowner or skilled contractor, targeted insulation can save you up to 10 percent on annual energy bills.
8. Hire a qualified home services contractor to conduct a home energy audit to find the areas you need to address to save you money and energy. An energy audit will help you determine how much energy you are using, and will identify ways you can reduce your energy usage, save money and go green at the same time.
Gold Medal Service was recently rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau and regularly receives the Super Service Award from Angie’s List.
About Gold Medal Service
Gold Medal Service, rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau, was founded in New Jersey in 1994 with just two employees. Their vision was to provide homeowners with a reliable and trustworthy home service company customers could count on to fix just about anything that could go wrong in a home. Since then Gold Medal has grown to include more than 120 employees and technicians solving plumbing, heating, cooling, electric, drain, sewer and waterproofing issues for homeowners across the state of New Jersey. Gold Medal Service is an Angie’s List "Super Service Award" recipient. For more information, call 800-853-6060 or visit http://www.goldmedalservice.com.