In my experience, creating a Google+ business page is easier and faster than getting set up on any other social network.
(PRWEB) September 30, 2013
Setting up a Google Plus business page is easier than setting up a page or profile on most other social networks, says Gollan, which in turn means companies can get up and running on Google+ in a mere matter of minutes
Being on Google+ has some distinct benefits, explains Gollan in his update How to Set Up a Google Plus Business Page. For instance it can:
- Increase search rankings: Google has alluded to the fact that clicks on +1 buttons may be part of the search engine’s algorithm.
- Using Google+ circles uniquely enables you to segment your audience: This means companies can send different messages to different groups of followers, like customers, co-workers, or VIP’s.
- It’s easier to build an engaged audience: Google+ is still small relative to, for instance, Facebook. While this means a company’s audience on Google+ will likely be smaller, this also means it’s easier to be a ‘big fish’.
- Google personalized search: Many internet users (particularly those in business) are logged into their Google account when searching the net. Google customizes search results, in part, based on endorsements made by those in the company’s Google+ network. This means that if people have +1′d a company’s site, the site is more likely to show up in the search results of their connections.
“In my experience, creating a Google+ business page is easier and faster than getting set up on any other social network,” says business mentor Gollan. “The setup process is straightforward, and with the exception of perhaps creating circles it’s very intuitive.”
It’s necessary to create a personal profile on Google+ prior to setting up a business page. The profile, however, can remain anonymous.
Companies should first sign in with a Google account (the one they use for Google Analytics, Google Webmaster, Gmail, etc.). If a company doesn’t have a Google account, click on ‘Don’t have a Google account’ at the top right of the page.
After logging in, the company will be given the option to find ‘friends’. This can be achieved manually ie by entering a name or email address, or via entering a high school, university, or workplace. There will also be the option to find people by connecting to a Yahoo or Hotmail account.
Next step is to create a Google+ page for business. To choose the best Google+ category it’s necessary to understand the following guidelines:
- Local Business or Place: Select this if the company has a physical location.
- Product or Brand: There are no clear guidelines as to what types of business should choose this category, other than ‘clothing, electronics, cars, and financial services’. There will then be sub-categories.
- Company, Institution, or Organization: This is the best choice for a consulting business, someone in the health field, a non-profit or professional service, advises business marketing expert Gollan.
- Arts, Entertainment or Sports: The best option for movies, TV shows, musicians, and anything related to sports.
When it comes to posting the same rules apply here as to other forms of social media: Share interesting and varied types of content, encourage discussion, and build relationships. Focus on topics, not just the business.
The ability to create and use circles is what sets Google+ apart from other social networks. Circles allow companies to segment their audience into different groups.
It’s easy to see how advantageous this ability is. Companies will be able to post different content depending on whether they are talking to other businesses (‘Following’), customers or clients, influencers or leaders in their field (VIP’s) or their co-workers or even employees.
Google+ gives business owners unprecedented SEO advantages when compared to other social networks, says business coaching Guru Gollan. The ability to add multiple followed links with the anchor text of their choice is excellent for boosting a site’s rankings.
In addition, Google indexes Google+ posts almost immediately, so if companies want to get their content indexed quickly, Google+ is essential.
Other tips for companies to use Google+ to best advantage include:
Embed links in the company’s Google+ profile using keywords the company is targeting.
As the company’s Google+ page grows in size and reputation, the value of the external links they place on their page will grow accordingly.
The first sentence of a Google+ posts is particularly important, as it becomes the title tag of that page. So be sure to include keywords in the first sentence of each of each post, if possible.
Get more business digital marketing tips at Gollan’s blog right here.