McLean, VA (PRWEB) January 02, 2014
Many people are making their New Year’s resolutions and some are resolving to be safer. FrontPoint Security, the nationwide leader in wireless home security, has released a list with the top eight safety tips to keep customers, homes and families safe in 2014.
1. Take down the festive lighting. Begin the New Year by putting away the holiday lights. Many people choose to feed the power cord through a partially opened window, but burglars are aware of this practice.
2. Carefully dispose wrapping paper, packages and boxes. Discard the boxes to any expensive items on trash day, don’t leave them outside for days in advance. Also, cover these boxes as best as possible; don’t advertise expensive new toys in the home to burglars.
3. Remember to avoid advertising your location. If you’re resolving to travel more in 2014, also resolve to not share your location too freely. Burglars today use social media to choose their targets. Posting your location on social media puts you at risk.
4. Know your neighbors. A trusting relationship with the neighbors can be beneficial for both parties. If you’re traveling more often, a good neighbor will make it seem like your home is still occupied by picking up the mail/packages or making footprints in the snow.
5. Lock doors and windows. Make this a resolution to not forget. As many as 40 percent of burglaries occur through unlocked doors and windows; by simply locking your doors and windows, you can protect your home.
6. Check environmental sensors. Make it a point every year to check the batteries in your environmental sensors. Batteries generally last a few years, but it doesn’t hurt to be cautious. Smoke, heat, flooding, freezing and carbon monoxide can all be detected, so make sure your sensors have fresh batteries.
7. Resolve to get a wireless home security system. To keep a home safe, there is no better way than investing in a wireless security system with cellular monitoring. A traditional wired system can be disabled by cutting the wires, but a cellular monitoring ensures a connection at all times.
8. Resolve to arm your security system. New and old customers need to remember to arm their security systems. Many burglaries are successful because the homeowners didn’t arm the security system. Even the best system is useless if you don’t use it. If you frequently forget, think about signing up for a home security system that includes smartphone and online access. Or, purchase a keychain remote for easy, one-button arming and disarming.
For more tips and information on home security, visit the FrontPoint Blog.
FrontPoint Security is the leading nationwide provider of interactive wireless home security systems and the only security company protecting every customer with 100% wireless and 100% cellular technology. FrontPoint combines next generation technology with remarkable simplicity and commitment to service, resulting in a safer and unique customer experience. With customers in all 50 states and Canada, FrontPoint Security is one of the fastest growing alarm companies in North America. FrontPoint is a GE Security Authorized Dealer and Alarm.com’s Preferred Dealer for no-hassle security solutions. For more information, call 855.296.3945.