Orlando, FL (PRWEB) January 08, 2014
The beginning of the new year marks the resurgence of New Year’s resolutions, many of which focus on improving finances, relationships and yes, health. If getting on track nutritionally is at the top of the 2014 priority list, be sure to make dairy foods a part of the New Year’s wellness plan.
It’s widely known that combining proper nutrition with physical activity is the best and safest way to reach a desired level of fitness. A balanced diet that includes dairy foods like milk, cheese and yogurt can deliver nine essential nutrients – including protein, calcium and vitamins A, D, and B12 – that can help you maintain a healthy weight.
Here are some ways to help make your New Year’s fitness resolution effective, long-lasting and enjoyable.
- Get off to a good start in the morning – Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and it can give the body the boost it needs to overcome the daily grind ahead. Also, those who eat breakfast tend to consume fewer calories throughout the day. Morning meals like whole-grain cereal with fruit and low-fat milk, smoothies and yogurt topped with granola are nutritious and can be prepared quickly.
- Physical activity is your friend – No matter what an individual’s level of fitness is, there are exercises to accommodate. Exercise can be achieved in many ways, from a casual walk on a lunch break to high-intensity training at the gym. If working out is a new endeavor, start with less-strenuous aerobics and build up to more challenging workouts. After vigorous training sessions, drink chocolate milk to refuel the body and promote effective post-workout recovery.
- The power of healthy protein – Making protein a part of a balanced diet can bring about numerous health benefits. Not all proteins are created equal, and there is no greater catalyst for healthy proteins that promote muscle growth and weight loss than dairy foods. In fact, an 8-ounce glass of milk delivers eight grams of protein, which is more than a large egg. At just 25 cents a glass, milk provides a potent combination of affordability and protein power that is difficult to match.
- Set reasonable goals and have patience – Getting discouraged is one of the main reasons people aren't able to follow through with their fitness ambitions. That’s why it’s important so set practical goals when it comes to weight loss. Since transforming one’s body doesn't happen overnight, appreciate the progress as it comes. This way, proper nutrition and physical fitness can become more of a lifestyle change than just a declaration at the beginning of each year.
To help your body recuperate after workouts, try a post-workout recovery shake. It’s easy to prepare and packed with key nutrients to help the body get back on track.
Post Work-Out Recovery Shake
- 2 cups low fat or skim milk or chocolate milk
- 1 large banana
- 6 strawberries, stems removed
Directions: In a blender, combine the ingredients and pulse until smooth. Serves 2.
For more information about Florida Dairy Farmers or to discover more healthy tips and delicious recipes, visit http://www.floridamilk.com.
# # #
About Florida Dairy Farmers
Florida Dairy Farmers is Florida’s milk promotion group, working to educate people on the dairy farming industry and the nutrient-rich foods it provides. FDF represents more than 130 dairy farming families throughout the state. For more information, call 407-647-8899 or visit http://www.floridamilk.com.