Add a quotableWe continue to invest in the development of new solutions to meet the industry’s evolving needs, and insights from our Potato Perspectives Survey will aid us in providing resources to combat critical crop threats.
Research Triangle Park, NC (PRWEB) January 13, 2014
According to United States Department of Agriculture’s crop production predictions, average potato yield per acre increased during the 2013 season (1). In an effort to propel this upward trend into the New Year, Bayer CropScience launched its Potato Perspectives Survey during Potato Expo in San Antonio, Texas, Jan. 8-10, 2014. Bayer CropScience collected insights from tradeshow attendees across the food chain to identify potato trends, opportunities and challenges as the industry prepares for the 2014 season.
Through its Potato Perspectives Survey, Bayer CropScience uncovered key issues and growth opportunities for the industry. Key findings include:
- 48 percent of potato grower participants responded that early blight and white mold were the most difficult diseases to control during 2013.
- 63 percent of potato grower participants pinpointed the reduction of yield and quality loss due to insects and disease as a critical need to ensure a successful harvest this season; 37 percent of retailer participants identified solutions to enhance crop quality as a top necessity for the upcoming season; and 34 percent of other industry member participants cited the need for solutions to combat disease and pest resistance issues in the field as a key need in the New Year.
- 54 percent of retailer participants cited increased price of potato production and changes in import and export patterns as the most critical concern for the upcoming season, while 33 percent and 25 percent of other industry member participants considered crop loss due to pests or disease and changes in consumptions patterns, respectfully, the most challenging issues for 2014.
- 42 percent of grower participants, 35 percent of retailer participants and 46 percent of other industry member participants believed biotechnology may be able to expand production capabilities and crop yield for the potato market.
“Our commitment to potato innovation is driven by industry needs and demands,” said Rob Schrick, Horticulture Strategic Business Lead, Bayer CropScience. “We continue to invest in the development of new solutions to meet the industry’s evolving needs, and insights from our Potato Perspectives Survey will aid us in providing resources to combat critical crop threats.”
Bayer CropScience is passionate about working alongside potato growers, processors and retailers to provide effective answers to the market’s most challenging issues. With its growing portfolio of products for the potato market, Bayer CropScience delivers innovative solutions, such as Emesto® Silver seed-piece treatment, Serenade Soil® fungicide, Movento® insecticide and Luna® fungicide, that equip growers with the tools they need to protect and enrich their crop from planting to harvest.
To learn more about Bayer CropScience’s potato portfolio, please visit bayercropscience.us. You can also follow and share with us on Twitter @Bayer4CropsUS or connect on the Bayer CropScience social media hub,Bayer Connect.
Bayer CropScience Twitter Page:
Bayer CropScience Blog:
(1) United States Department of Agriculture (http://www.usda.gov/nass/PUBS/TODAYRPT/crop1113.pdf)
Bayer CropScience is committed to bringing new technology and solutions for agriculture and non-agricultural uses. For questions concerning the availability and use of products, contact a local Bayer CropScience representative, or visit Bayer CropScience online at bayercropscience.us.
Visit the Bayer Connect - Social Hub for all Bayer CropScience social media, recent news, blog posts, videos and more.
About Bayer CropScience
Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the fields of health care, agriculture and high-tech materials. Bayer CropScience, the subgroup of Bayer AG responsible for the agricultural business, has annual sales of EUR 8,383 million (2012) and is one of the world’s leading innovative crop science companies in the areas of seeds, crop protection and non-agricultural pest control. The company offers an outstanding range of products including high value seeds, innovative crop protection solutions based on chemical and biological modes of action as well as an extensive service backup for modern, sustainable agriculture. In the area of non-agricultural applications, Bayer CropScience has a broad portfolio of products and services to control pests from home and garden to forestry applications. The company has a global workforce of 20,800 (Dec 31, 2012) and is represented in more than 120 countries. This and further news is available at: press.bayercropscience.com.
Bayer CropScience Media Hotline, 1-877-879-6162, or
Director of Communications & Bayer CropScience NA Coordinator
Tel: (919) 549-2030
Tel: (404) 995-4536
Find more information at bayercropscience.us.
This release may contain forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by Bayer Group or subgroup management. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in Bayer’s public reports which are available on the Bayer website at bayer.com. The company assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments.