Hoboken, NJ (PRWEB) January 22, 2014
Kirby Rosplock, PhD has set out to demystify the information that surrounds ultra-high-net worth (UHNW) individuals and the family office, a dedicated business to manage an individual’s or family’s wealth, with the first holistic guide written for families and their advisors. A well-regarded, research expert in family office and family wealth matters with numerous published studies on the subject, Dr. Rosplock has gathered, culled and distilled research from a multitude of sources. The 432-page book, The Complete Family Office Handbook/ A Guide for Affluent Families and the Advisors Who Serve Them(ISBN: 978-1-118-36730-8) will be released by Wiley/Bloomberg on January 28, 2014.
The book marries research and personal and professional family office accounts giving readers an insider-view of the family office. According to Wealth-X, a global UHNW intelligence firm, whose research is featured in the book, there are nearly 200,000 UHNW individuals across the globe with a combined wealth of US$27.8 trillion, an increase of 6.3 percent, since 2012. “Renowned, wealthy families such as the Carnegies, Rockefellers and Phipps amassed extraordinary wealth during the Industrial Revolution, each requiring a family office, and today we see another surge of wealth creators globally,” notes David Friedman and Mykolas Rambus, co-founders of Wealth-X. "Especially, as wealth continues to surge in Asia where the single family office infrastructure is still maturing, this book offers a comprehensive guide," they added.
Written for today’s layperson, Rosplock has engaged more than 60 family office experts, professionals and families with family offices around the globe in her research. The book presents for the first time current, real-life cases and examples and highlights key family office information and research from institutions and leading family office professional organizations in an accessible form.
Some of the subject matter and trends reviewed in Rosplock’s book include:
- Typical pathways to a family office and different family office archetypes
- Structural, legal, compliance and regulatory issues of the family office and implications of Dodd-Frank
- The investment management approach, weighing the family’s lifestyle and legacy objectives and how a family office is a different “animal” to its institutional counterparts
- Operations and information technology needs of the family office and assessing size, scale, cost, and complexity issues
- Talent management in the family office and research into compensations, incentives, performance management, recruitment, and retention
- Charitable giving, philanthropy, and legacy and keys to building bridges across generations
- Next generation of the family and avoiding entitlement issues of “wonder, blunder, dunder” through education and mentoring
- Differences among men and when it comes to wealth transfer and legacy intentions
- Family entrepreneurship and family banks
- Globalization of the family office
“Now families have a one-stop, comprehensive resource for many of their family office questions,” said Rosplock. “The family business is one significant contributor to family wealth creation globally with 64 percent of the U.S. gross domestic product and 45 percent in Canada generated by family businesses, and much of this wealth may require a family office at some point,” added Rosplock, who collaborates with leading experts in disciplines such as including tax, legal, compliance, operations, IT, governance, entrepreneurship and family banks.
Background on Kirby Rosplock and Contributors:
Kirby Rosplock is a recognized researcher, innovator, advisor, author, and speaker in the family business and family office realms. She understands firsthand the opportunities and challenges of family wealth as a fourth generation family business owner, board member, and co-trustee of her family’s foundation. For nearly a decade, Dr. Rosplock was director of research & development at GenSpring Family Offices, based in Jupiter, Florida, one of the most prominent multi-family offices in the U.S.
Select chapter co-authors within "The Complete Family Office Handbook" include: Ivan A. Sacks, William J. Kambas, Justin M. Zamparelli, David S. Guin, Mark Tice, leading attorneys from Withers Worldwide; Rob Kaufold, founder of Carriage Partners; Barbara R. Hauser, advisory board member of the Family Office Association and independent director of the Pitcairn family office and Warner King Babcock, chairman and CEO of AM Private Enterprises.
# # #
For more information contact:
Cary Broussard: 973-216-4283/cary(at)broussardglobal(dot)com
or Beth Grossman: 212-949-4071/bgmth(at)rcn(dot)com