Super Bowl XLVIII Advance Consumer Electronics Buying Patterns Shows Shift to Mobile
BuyVia Finds that Majority of Online and App TV Searches Are LCD/LED, Not Plasma Or 3D; Little Consumer Demand for Smart TV Or 4K
San Mateo, CA (PRWEB) January 27, 2014
As Super Bowl XLVIII approaches on February 2, consumers nationwide are starting to purchase large screen televisions via smartphones for the first time, according to a new analysis from BuyVia (http://www.buyvia.com), the first website and mobile app that combines in-store and online shopping across smart phones, tablets and laptops.
The findings were based on traffic to the BuyVia app from November 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013.
A small number of users clicked though and purchased TVs using a smartphone, as compared to same time frame in 2013 when no users made TV purchases through this method. “Unlike last year when we didn’t record any of these purchases leading up to Super Bowl time, it’s an indicator of a notable behavioral shift, a willingness to buy big ticket items like large screen TVs digitally with mobile devices. This phenomenon is attributed to the “showrooming,” when people check out products in person before buying them digitally,” said Norman Fong, CEO and co-founder of BuyVia.
- People who purchased the TVs purchased them primarily at retailers Best Buy, Amazon, and Walmart. The most popular TV models purchased included Samsung 65” 55”, 32”, LG 55”, Haier 24” and Seiki 20.”
Other key trends from BuyVia’s analysis include:
- 60” TVs are very popular leading up to the Super Bowl, as 35% of TV searches on the site/app are for these size units. “Most are only $100 more than many 50-55” TVs,” said Fong.
- 96% of TV searches on the site/app are for LCD and LED TVs as “Plasma and 3D TVs are dead,” said Fong.
- “Smart TV functions are too costly and limiting” said Fong, as only 11% of TV searches on the site/app are for them.
- Currently, 4K TVs are way too expensive and there is no source material. The cheap $1000 Chinese ones really aren't 4K.
Based in San Mateo, CA, BuyVia is the only online and mobile smart shopping service that combines intelligent shopping capabilities including a set your price feature, UPC/QR scanning, geo-local deals and wish lists. BuyVia is a combination of hand-curated expertise combined with a custom architecture and uses this technology to uncover reputable products at the best price available. Products and deals will be available through charter partners Amazon.com, HP, NewEgg, PriceGrabber, Dell, TigerDirect, Sony etc., but because of BuyVia’s unbiased approach, any product and deal available anywhere on the Internet will be delivered to shopping app/website users. The iOS, iPad, Android and Kindle Fire app downloads are available via the Apple App Store, the Google Play Store and Amazon’s App Store. For more information, visit http://www.buyvia.com, like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/buyvia or follow us on Twitter @BuyVia.
# # #