Restoration Local Offers Tips on Fire Damage Prevention During Winter

Share Article

Winter months are the peak time for fire problems. A restoration provider explains the threat and the solution.

News Image
Winter weather means that a lot of activities take place indoors...As a result, the risk of unwanted ignition is greatly increased.

Restoration Local, one of the leading providers of fire and water damage restoration in the United States, is offering tips to property owners on the best ways to prevent the threat of fire damage during the peak winter months. Winter weather means that a lot of activities take place indoors, including holiday cooking, fires in the fireplace, and the use of candles and space heaters for both comfort and aesthetic purposes. As a result, the risk of unwanted ignition is greatly increased.

Cooking is the leading cause of house fires, with most cases taking place in the early evening between 5 – 8PM. Fireplaces come in a close second, the result of either sparks flying out of the fireplace and landing on carpeting or rugs, or the removal of ashes from the fireplace while they are still hot.

Homeowners are advised to use a screen to prevent sparks from flying, and always make sure the fire has been completely extinguished before leaving it alone. Do not leave the house or go to bed if there are still smoldering ashes. When the ashes are removed, they should be placed in a metal container and properly disposed of.

Also, refrain from using the fireplace to burn boxes, wrapping paper, Christmas trees or other waste.

Candles are responsible for starting about 35 fires nationally every day, and have been responsible for over 150 deaths, 1000 injuries, and about $500 million in damages over the last four years. Most of these cases involve flammable material coming into contact with candle flames, or people going to bed without extinguishing their candles. Candles should be put out after use, and candle holders should not be prone to overturning.

Children also tend to be one of the more significant fire damage threats; as they are fascinated by lighting and flames, they are prone to get too close to where they shouldn’t be. Children should be kept away from power cords, candles, and other open flames. Matches and lighters should also be kept safely out of reach. Use only lighters that have child resistant switches. Children should be trained to tell an adult if they see matches or lighters where they should not be.

Restoration Local is one of the leading providers of water damage restoration and mold remediation services in the US, with providers in 30 states, 24/7 availability, and same day emergency service. They are certified by the Clean Trust (IICRC) and Restoration Industry Association (RIA) and a member in good standing with the Better Business Bureau.

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Darrell Ritchie
Visit website