Product features have no inherent value - value is about solving a problem that matters.
Scottsdale, AZ (PRWEB) January 29, 2014
Success in major B2B accounts is based on a salesperson’s ability to craft a good sales strategy and then to implement it. Too often sales people excel in crafting sales strategy, but then drop the ball executing.
“Successful salespeople don't drop the execution ball. They sell differently. For example, they recognize that in successful sales calls the buyer is talking more than the seller and the seller is asking more questions,” says Dr. Richard Ruff, co-founder of Sales Momentum.
10 ways salespeople can better executive their sales strategy are:
1. Leverage institutional resources – B2B sales is becoming a team sport, the day of the lone wolf is over.
2. Be proactive – Nothing derails a sales strategy more than complacency.
3. Document good news – Bad news documents itself; good news doesn’t – so make sure everyone knows the good news story.
4. Understand the buying process – Get the right information, to the right people, at the right time.
5. Develop and rehearse internal champions – Internal champions tell your story when you’re not there – and in major B2B accounts, you’re not there most of the time.
6. Make the business case – Major accounts don’t close on product features – successful salespeople make a strong business case for investing in the solution.
7. Deal with passive competition – When the buying process stalls and at it often does, modify the sales strategy to overcome the no-decision momentum.
8. Define competition more broadly – In major B2B sales, competitors are those companies who do what you do plus every other company competing for the same funds.
9. Sell to the C-Suite – The probability of capturing major account business is minimal if salespeople do not successful sell to senior executives.
10. Sell value – Adding value is a key differentiator since it’s difficult to distinguish one product from the next by features alone.
Top sales performance is not about doing the same things salespeople always have done – just a bit faster or a bit better. “The successful salespeople we work with embrace these 10 tips to more effectively execute their sales strategies," says Dr. Janet Spirer, co-founder of Sales Momentum.
To dive deeper into how these 10 sales ways are used by successful, B2B major account salespeople you can download the free white paper – Getting Sales Strategy Right in Major Accounts - in a pdf file.
©2014 Sales Momentum® LLC
About Sales Momentum: For more than 30 years Dr. Richard Ruff and Dr. Janet Spirer – the founders of Sales Momentum – have worked with the Fortune 1000 to design and develop sales training programs that make a difference. By working with companies – such as UPS, Smith & Nephew, Textron, the Center for Creative Leadership, and Robbins & Myers – they have learned that today’s standard for a great sales force significantly differs from yesterday’s picture. Janet and Richard co-authored Mastering Major Account Selling and Parlez-Vous Business. They also publish the sales blog - Sales Training Connection. Richard co-authored Managing Major Account Selling and Getting Partnering Right. The books are available here.