Dallas, TX (PRWEB) February 07, 2014
In an open letter to President Barack Obama, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Speaker of the House John Boehner, and all members of Congress, Daniel Whyte III, president of Gospel Light Society, makes the case for why a monument for Rev. Billy Graham should be on the National Mall alongside Martin Luther King, Jr. Whyte writes, "Rarely has a man like Billy Graham come along in our nation’s history. Often, such men, are not valued and recognized until they are dead and gone. However, even as he comes close to passing from this life into the next, the American people have a chance to honor a true man of God, statesman and national treasure."
Whyte gives seven reasons why Graham should be included on the National Mall along with King. Those reasons are as follows:
1. Because of his humble spirit, Billy Graham would not even want a monument on the National Mall.
2. From the beginning of his ministry, Billy Graham insisted that his crusades be open to people of all races, including blacks, at a time in our nation when white churches did not allow black people to come to their services and did not even want them in their crusades and revival meetings.
3. When other white preachers turned their backs on Martin Luther King Jr. and others involved in the Civil Rights Movement, Billy Graham chose to stand with King during this defining, but difficult time in our nation’s history.
4. Billy Graham has advised, prayed with, and prayed for every President of the United States since Harry S. Truman in 1950.
5. For over 60 years, Billy Graham has been a voice of truth and morality to the country and the world.
6. Billy Graham represents all of the Christians who have made this country great.
7. When the country needed a national pastor to offer words of comfort, to pray for her, and to help heal her, the old country preacher from Boone, NC, Billy Graham, was there for her.
Whyte reminds the nation that just as we remember and honor Martin Luther King, Jr., for his sacrifice and contributions to society, we should also remember and honor Billy Graham for his sacrifice and contributions to America and to the world. Whyte urges the President of the United States, the Senate Leaders and the House Leaders, as well as all members of Congress to support this proposal and get the process going to accomplish this task.
Citizens are also encouraged to get involved by contacting the President or their State Senator and/or Representative.
To read the full letter, click here: http://www.blackchristiannews.com/2014/01/7-reasons-why-rev-billy-graham-should-be-on-the-national-mall-with-dr-martin-luther-king-jr/.