New York, NY (PRWEB) February 07, 2014
In response to an ABC News article published on February 4 titled “Tips for Parents of Young Children,” Dr. Michael Gabriel of Gabriel Pediatrics discusses the “Too Small to Fail” public service campaign and the steps parents can take to ensure their young children and well-prepared for education.
According to the February 4 article published by ABC News titled “Tips for Parents of Young Children,” the Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation and Next Generation, a San Francisco-based nonprofit, started the “Too Small to Fail” campaign. It focuses on encouraging Hispanic families to read, sing and talk more to their young children in order to better prepare them for school.
The campaign encourages parents to take the following steps:
- Talk with your child and point out everyday things. For example, the article states to “describe what you see through the window or count the items in your shopping cart. It helps them learn.”
- Turn off the electronics. Today’s youth is connected to mobile phones, televisions and other electronic devices now more than ever before. Substitute this screen time for talking, playing and directly engaging with your children.
- Dedicated at least 15 minutes every day to reading with your child. This exponentially increases their vocabularies.
- Sharing simple moments with you children, like laughing or hugging, helps your child bond with you, promoting healthy brain development.
- Make sure to ask your child about their day. This gives them the opportunity to express how they feel and share their stories from the day.
Dr. Michael Gabriel of Gabriel Pediatrics, a Staten Island pediatric care center, says it is important to follow these steps to make sure young children are well-prepared for school. “Often times, today’s youth is so wrapped up in technology that their communication, cognitive and observatory skills tend to suffer,” warns Gabriel. “It is important that parents involve their young children in conversation, ask them questions and read to them in order to make sure they are as prepared as they can be to start school and learn effectively.”
Gabriel Pediatrics provides comprehensive pediatric care to children throughout the New York area with practices both in Brooklyn and Staten Island. Our board certified pediatricians and experienced staff help provide a very warm and nurturing environment for both you and your children. Our approach combines the latest treatment methods with the personal attention you should expect from your doctor. Simply put, we understand the importance of communication and trust and we are earning that trust one family at a time.