Washington, DC (PRWEB) February 14, 2014
An increasing number of health care organizations and professionals are using social media to reach out to patients and health plan members, or inform the public about services they offer. While Facebook, Twitter and other new e-tools are fast becoming effective and popular ways for HIPAA covered entities and business associates to stay connected, serious new patient privacy risks created by these media are often not fully considered. “Social Media and HIPAA Privacy: How to Reduce Your Organization’s Risks,” the Feb. 26 webinar from Atlantic Information Services, Inc. (AIS), will help participants identify and assess the social media risks, and what options exist for policies, procedures and workforce training to protect against damaging breaches.
Participants will hear from privacy expert Chris Apgar, CEO and president of Apgar & Associates, LLC, and a former HIPAA compliance officer. In a 60-minute presentation, followed by 30 minutes dedicated to individual questions, Apgar will answer questions such as:
- How prevalent are different types of social media for what applications in health care organizations?
- What are the legal, technical and regulatory risks associated with social media?
- What guidance should you be providing to physicians and other professionals?
- What are the components of an effective HIPAA-compliant social media program that will reduce the risk of costly security breaches?
- What steps should health care organizations follow when implementing a social media program and monitoring/training requirements, including after business hour posting? (Webinar attendees will receive a detailed template for a social media policy and procedure that can be used by covered entities and business associates as they plan or augment social media programs.)
- Which HIPAA safeguards and best practices should be proactively built into the overall management of social media programs?
Visit http://aishealth.com/marketplace/c4x05_022614 for more details and registration information.
Atlantic Information Services, Inc. (AIS) is a publishing and information company that has been serving the health care industry for more than 25 years. It develops highly targeted news, data and strategic information for managers in hospitals, health plans, medical group practices, pharmaceutical companies and other health care organizations. AIS products include print and electronic newsletters, websites, looseleafs, books, strategic reports, databases, webinars and conferences. Learn more at http://www.AISHealth.com.