Our latest features simplify base station sites and their operations, slashing costs and freeing up 55% of the spectrum for HSPA/LTE refarming.
(PRWEB UK) 17 February 2014
Nokia Solutions and Networks launches six enhancements for its Single RAN (radio access network) Advanced* portfolio to help operators simplify their radio access networks and management functions. Fewer boxes, less cabling, faster installation, simpler operations and more efficient use of spectrum mean operators can achieve considerable cost savings.
“Radio access networks are becoming increasingly complex with LTE services provided alongside GSM and WCDMA services, and new frequency bands, as well as IP-based transport for LTE being added to existing backhaul network,” said Kimmo Virkki, vice president, Single RAN Business Product Management at NSN. “Running three different networks simultaneously often means rising costs, and compromised performance given the increased risk of error. NSN’s Single RAN Advanced cuts through this complexity by running GSM, HSPA and LTE technologies on shared multi-purpose hardware. Our latest features simplify base station sites and their operations, slashing costs and freeing up 55% of the spectrum for HSPA/LTE refarming.”
New Single RAN Advanced from NSN with its latest enhancements and their associated benefits include:
- Single RAN releases will support GSM, WCDMA and LTE deployments. The New Single RAN Advanced will align availability of three separate software releases, making it easy to build, operate and maintain NSN Single RAN Advanced networks.
- Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station 6 x 60W radio frequency module enables a compact three-sector site with LTE MIMO 2x2 using just one radio frequency (RF) hardware unit instead of two 3-pipe modules. It provides 360W total RF output power, the highest in market, for better end user experience. With this, operators can now deploy 1800 MHz LTE/GSM refarming and RF sharing using half the number of modules.
- Expansion sub-module for increasing RF connectivity of the Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station. This new sub-module supports three times more RF ports compared to earlier models, enabling operators to meet their refarming and RF sharing needs with less hardware.
- Smart Dual Beam (SDB) application software for Liquid Radio GSM Software Suite brings an intelligent new way to build three-sector GSM sites. This enables operators to either benefit from 50% more GSM capacity in their existing spectrum and base station sites, or provide 20% more spectrum for HSPA/LTE deployments.
- Common Base Station Operations, Administration and Maintenance entity, supported by NSN’s NetAct 8, for sites with GSM, WCDMA and LTE base stations. It replaces three separate entities with one, making it simpler to build, operate and maintain base station sites.
- Improved common IP backhaul solution with a new single transport function to support single site deployments. On the transport layer, GSM, WCDMA and LTE base station sites can now appear as one IP host, which improves flexibility in IP addressing, QoS and IP security, and simplifies the IP transport backhaul implementation and maintenance process.
To learn more about NSN’s Single RAN Advanced and other portfolio launches, network operators, customers, press and analysts are welcome to visit NSN’s Experience Center in Hall 3, 3B10 at Mobile World Congress, Fira Gran Via, in Barcelona, Spain.
We invite you to follow our launches on http://www.nsn.com/performance, and register for the #NSNperformance webinar series starting on March 13, 2014.
Nokia Solutions and Networks is the world’s specialist in mobile broadband. From the first ever call on GSM, to the first call on LTE, we operate at the forefront of each generation of mobile technology. Our global experts invent the new capabilities our customers need in their networks. We provide the world’s most efficient mobile networks, the intelligence to maximize the value of those networks, and the services to make it all work seamlessly.
With headquarters in Espoo, Finland, we operate in over 120 countries and had net sales of approximately 11.3 billion euros in 2013. NSN is wholly owned by Nokia Corporation.
Phone: +358 7140 02869
*NSN Single RAN Advanced simplifies macro radio access networks and makes network investments future-proof. It consists of multi-purpose hardware solutions which support software for GSM, HSPA and LTE technologies. The award-winning portfolio consists of Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station, Flexi Compact Base Station, Multicontroller, fully BTS and controller integrated common Single RAN Transport solution and common OAM NetAct solution. The RF sharing software solutions and Liquid Radio GSM Software Suite for Refarming optimize the use of radio resources and enable efficient, easier and faster LTE- and HSPA refarming implementations.
Today, NSN’ Single RAN Advanced has been adopted by over 300 operators worldwide and has over 80 RF sharing and 116 LTE/HSPA refarming references, including the world’s first WCDMA refarming network implementation in 2007.
Read more about our Single RAN Advanced Vision in our White paper demonstrating our planned product portfolio evolution built on NSN Vision 2020. Today we bring this vision one step closer to reality.