Athens is a family-friendly destination that offers various opportunities to explore the great outdoors, said Sherri Skeeters, tourism coordinator for the City of Athens Department of Tourism.
Athens, Texas (PRWEB) February 26, 2014
Located just 75 miles southeast of Dallas, the City of Athens is the perfect playground for outdoor adventurers and enthusiasts. It not only benefits from surrounding countryside and lakes, but also a plethora of exciting events. Athens' Department of Tourism is releasing this list of the top five activities visitors should take advantage of this summer.
1) Athens Scuba Park gives visitors the rare opportunity to have underwater adventures in a clear, east Texas lake. It features sunken wrecks, treasure hunts, a fully stocked dive shop, and even diving certification courses. The spring-fed warm waters have an average visibility of 35 feet that can reach 70 feet. There are also 11 diving docks with shaded pavilions and a bath house. Athens Scuba Park is open to both novice and expert scuba divers. It is a relaxing locale for diving enthusiasts who want to spend the day away from the hustle and bustle.
2) Visitors can make their way along winding, spring-fed streams connected by a 115-foot suspension bridge and walk along a tree-covered path at the East Texas Arboretum. Explore two miles of nature trails, see honeybees at work, and take a step back in time at the Wofford House museum, c. 1850 and visit the monumental Henderson County Veterans Memorial Wall and Plaza honoring more than 9,000 military veterans from the Civil War to present.
3) Shopping and entertainment should not be forgotten during a trip to Athens. Downtown offers chic boutiques, quaint art galleries, a historical museum and casual restaurants. Spend the day exploring the area and attend a local concert or live theater performance.
4) The Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center offers 300,000 gallons of aquatic fun to explore with fishing, a daily dive show, tram tours, an alligator exhibit and an interpretive wetland trail. The 1.2 acre lake is stocked with fish year round and staff provides help with fishing lines and hooks. No fishing license is required and all bait and tackle are furnished.
5) Enjoy a sip of Texas wine at Tara Vineyard and Winery, the oldest winery in Henderson County. The tasting room and wine shop are open daily during regular hours. Guided winery tours are offered at 2:30 p.m. on Saturdays. The adjoining patio overlooks the vineyard and rolling hills of East Texas and provides the perfect setting to experience Tara's unique selection of premium wines.
In addition to these activities, Athens offers lakes, parks, a recreation facility, a farmer's market and thrill seekers will love the nearby zipline. The Department of Tourism also offers coupons for participating restaurants and hotels that will make a family vacation more affordable. For a complete list of things to do and see, hotel accommodations and upcoming events, visit http://www.AthensTX.org or call 1-888-294-2847 to request a free visitor's guide.
About the City of Athens:
The City of Athens, Texas is a scenic, idyllic town offering relaxation and a break from the hustle-and-bustle of everyday life. With its nature trails, gardens, fall foliage, historical museum, fishing sites and scuba diving facilities, rodeos and vineyard, it appeals to adventure enthusiasts and casual travelers alike. Athens is also the nationally acclaimed "home of the original hamburger." For more information about Athens, visit http://www.AthensTX.org.