The Directors’ Institute releases study of First 500 Public-Company Directorships of 2014

The Directors Institute, a non-profit organization focused on helping executives build the requisite network connections and foundational knowledge to serve as the next generation of leadership on public, private, and non-profit boards of American companies, has released a study of the first 500 new directorships reported in 2014, in anticipation of The Directors’ Institute Q1 study on all newly reported directors.

  • Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail a friend
“This information is crucial for anyone hoping to secure a seat on a public or private board one day. This snapshot is an initial bellwether representing the first 500 new directorships reported in 2014 should be of interest to up and coming executives."

Philadelphia, PA (PRWEB) February 27, 2014

The Directors' Institute, a non-profit organization focused on helping executives build the requisite network connections and foundational knowledge to serve as the next generation of leadership on public, private, and non-profit boards of American companies, has released a study of the first 500 new directorships reported in 2014, in anticipation of The Directors’ Institute Q1 study on all newly reported directors.

“This information is crucial for anyone hoping to secure a seat on a public or private board one day,” said Ken Schwenke, Founder and CEO of Directors Institute. “This snapshot is an initial bellwether representing the first 500 new directorships reported in 2014 and should be of interest to up and coming executives.”

Among the findings:

  • The first directorship of 2014 was filed on 1/2/2014, and was effective 1/1/2014. The 500th directorship of 2014 was filed on 2/5/2014, and effective on the same date.
  • Over eighty-eight percent of the directorships were filled by men, 11.2% by women.
  • The average age of an appointee was 53.3 (53.4 for men, and 52.9 for women)

In addition, 21.4% of the directorships were executive directorships (filled by current or contemporaneously appointed senior executives at the same respective companies as the directorship), and 78.6% were non-executive directorships (filled by people who were not serving the same company in an executive role). Of executive directorships, 95.3% were filled by men, with the remaining 4.7% filled by women.

Industry Statistics:

  • Manufacturing - 31.8%
  • Services - 19%
  • Finance, Insurance & Real Estate - 17.6%
  • Mining - 10%
  • Transportation, Communications, Electric, Gas, & Sanitary Services - 7.8%
  • Retail Trade - 7.4%
  • Wholesale Trade - 4.2%
  • Other (Construction, Public Administration, Unspecified) - 2.2%

The Directors’ Institute releases a quarterly study on all newly appointed directors YTD, as well as an annual summary at the end of Q4.

There are many analyses of the boardroom available from other sources that focus on certain segments of the market, such as the Fortune 100, 500, or 1000, and the S&P 500.

However, there is little freely available information on the total picture: of what directorship at all U.S. companies as a whole looks like.

“Studies by The Directors’ Institute represent all filings made by every company that has publicly held securities, including all major exchanges, over-the-counter exchanges, and grey markets, totaling well over 10,000 companies,” said Schwenke. “Our goal is to understand and influence U.S. directorship in its entirety, across all market cap ranges, and provide a true picture of what directorship in the U.S. looks like overall.”

The Directors' Institute is the first membership organization focused on potential new directors, unlike other organizations that only admit current directors. The Directors’ Institute serves an audience of nearly 3.5 million senior executives, and conducts Directors’ Symposium(TM) events in cities throughout the U.S. to help prepare its members for board service.

This is an excerpt of the full report. To see the complete version, please visit:
http://directorsinstitute.org/news-media/blog/

Media Contact:
Chris Grimmig
Director of Member Services
c.grimmig(at)directorsinstitute(dot)org


Contact