“It’s the time of year to enjoy all things celebrity, so we wanted to look at how many other Americans these Oscar nominees share a name with,” said Liz Powell, culture and trend expert from WhitePages.
Seattle, WA (PRWEB) February 27, 2014
WhitePages, the leading provider of contact information for people and businesses in the U.S., today unveiled some factoids around the names of the 10 Best Actor and Best Actress Oscar Nominees, including how many others in the U.S. share those names. Based on data from Names.WhitePages.com, Amy Adams has the most popular name of the actors up for golden statuettes come Sunday, while Leonardo DiCaprio, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Judi Dench, Cate Blanchett and Meryl Streep are true originals.
“It’s the time of year to enjoy all things celebrity, so we wanted to look at how many other Americans these Oscar nominees share a name with,” said Liz Powell, culture and trend expert from WhitePages. “We were surprised to see there were more true originals on this list of ten than we expected.”
Best Actor Nominees:
- Three people in the U.S. share the name of the "American Hustle" actor
- 152,856 have the name Christian
- Utah has the most Christians per capita, peaking in 1996
- 4% of people with the name Christian are girls
- Christian is making a comeback with kids: 64% of people with this name are age 12 and under
- Four people in the U.S. share the name of the star of "Nebraska"
- 476,261 people are named Bruce
- Maine has the most people per capita with the name Bruce, which peaked in 1951 in popularity
- Mr. DiCaprio is the one and only "Wolf of Wall Street,"according to the Names database, but 36,266 people in the U.S. are named Leonardo, with the name peaking in popularity in 2010
- Florida has the most Leonardos per capita
- 73% of the people with this name are age 12 and under, pointing to the fact that Mr. DiCaprio may be influencing parents’ name choice for their kids
- Uniquely named – perhaps not surprisingly the British star of "Twelve Years a Slave" is the only person in the U.S. with this name
- 9 people have the same name as the "Dallas Buyers Club" star
- 1,212,032 people in the U.S. are named Matthew
- Massachusetts has the most people with per capita named Matthew, which peaked in 1983
- Over one-fourth of people named Matthew are age 12 and under
Best Actress Nominees:
- 1,885 people share the name of this "American Hustle" star
- 1,018,401 people are named Amy, with Iowa boasting the most Amys per capita
- The name Amy peaked in popularity in 1975
- The Australian star of "Blue Jasmine" does not share her name with anyone in the U.S.
- There are 6,289 people in the U.S. who share the name Cate, with the most living in New Hampshire
- There are 209 people who have the same name as the "Gravity" star, with the most living in North Carolina
- 1,208,597 people are named Sandra in the U.S.
- The name peaked in popularity in 1946, and West Virginia boasts the most people per capita with this name
- No one in the U.S. shares Dame Judi Dench's name
- 20,765 people in the U.S. share the “Philomena" star's first name with Wyoming boasting the most per capita.
- The name Judi peaked in popularity in 1945
- The "August: Osage County" star is peerless when it comes to sharing a name
- And while Ms. Streep was born Mary Louise Streep, the name Meryl is relatively new on the scene, compared to the name lineage of others on this list
- Peaking in 1956, 6,854 people in the U.S. are named Meryl, with New York boasting the most per capita
To learn more about name popularity in the United States, please visit: http://names.whitepages.com/.
WhitePages is the leading provider of contact information for people and businesses in the U.S. With over 50 million unique monthly users and powering over 2 billion searches per year across sites that include WhitePages.com and 411.com, WhitePages offers consumers one-click access to more than 200 million adults and also provides them with the ability to edit and control their own listings. The company’s suite of mobile products includes a top-50 mobile website and popular Android and iPhone apps with over 15 million active monthly mobile users.