Hilton Head Island, SC (PRWEB) March 03, 2014
With the United States Tennis Association (USTA) declaring March 3 “World” Tennis Day, Hilton Head Island’s Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort shares why it has become “world” renowned for its tennis facilities and programming. The resort, which was named Tennis Magazine’s No. 1 tennis facility in the Carolinas and selected as one of the 50 greatest tennis resorts since 1975, has also been recognized year after year as a top-ten world tennis resort by TennisResortsOnline.com.
In celebration of World Tennis Day, the resort will host its first tennis exhibition of the year at 5:30 p.m. at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. Featuring two college teams -- Dalton State University from Dalton, Ga., and Ashford College from Dubuque, Iowa, guests can enjoy complimentary refreshments and cocktails at the exhibition.
Here are 10 reasons not to miss playing tennis at this beautiful Lowcountry resort situated right in the middle of Hilton Head Island:
1) Depth of programming -- During the busy season March-August, the center hosts 43 adult tennis clinics and 27 junior clinics for all skill levels taught by 25 different tennis professionals every week. Choose from tennis lessons, clinics, cardio tennis, round robins, tournaments and more.
2) Variety of tennis courts – Choose from 23 clay courts and two Nova ProBounce courts, as well as six courts lighted for night play.
3) FREE tennis – All guests who book their Hilton Head vacation rentals through Palmetto Dunes receive two complimentary hours of tennis court time each day of their stay.
4) Year-round Tennis Tournaments – For 2014, the tennis center is hosting 15 different tennis tournaments through November. Some are closed tournaments through the USTA, while others are open to all participants. Tournaments are always open for spectators.
5) Combine tennis AND vacation – Palmetto Dunes offers a number of Hilton Head tennis packages that allow guests to combine a vacation with their love of tennis. They can enjoy all the amenities of the resort, including its 3 championship Hilton Head golf courses, Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina, 3 miles of beach, Hilton Head bike rentals, 11-mile inland lagoon and more.
6) Hilton Head tennis pro shop – With 1800 square feet of retail space, the shop is the largest tennis pro shop on the island, carrying a variety of lines and products, including racquets, shoes, accessories, sunglasses, as well as adult and junior apparel. A complimentary Demo Day is offered every Tuesday March-October where guests can try out all the latest equipment and ask pros their questions.
7) Professional staff - “It’s unusual for a tennis staff to have been together for so long,” says Jackie Reynecke, group coordinator of tennis for the resort. “We’re all tennis players at all different levels. Being together as a team, year in and year out, and knowing our guests who return year after year, gives us a special and unique ability to service them.”
8) Family friendly – The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center offers more than 25 junior tennis clinics weekly March through August, and the center has completed a shortening of courts for players 10 and younger per new regulations from the USTA. There are also adult and junior programs offered at the same time so the whole family can get tennis instruction at once.
9) Fun! - The daily adult round robin makes for a fun social competition, and the Monday night exhibition hosted March through October, is a popular event with complimentary refreshments, door prizes and more. Whether you’re joining a group tennis clinic or private lesson, the staff at Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center always makes sure “fun” is a top priority when you’re on their courts.
10) Top notch instruction – Twenty-five different tennis professionals, all with years of experience, lead instruction each week during the busy season. They are able to customize to each guests’ playing ability r or set up a custom program for a group. Guests can select up to 6 ½ hours of instructional programming a day to play as much or as little as they want.
World Tennis Day is an initiative of the United States Tennis Association that supports their charitable arm, providing under-resourced youth and people with disabilities through tennis and educational programs.
About Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort
Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort is a 2,000-acre resort destination located in the middle of Hilton Head Island, S.C., bounded by 3 miles of Atlantic Ocean beach on one side and a sheltered Intracoastal Waterway marina on the other. Named to the top 25 World’s Best Family Getaways by Travel + Leisure in 2013, the resort features three world-class golf courses, an award-winning tennis center, an 11-mile inland salt-water lagoon system for kayaking and fishing, and Hilton Head Outfitters for bike rentals, canoes, kayaks, fishing and much more. The Mediterranean-style Shelter Cove Harbour, Hilton Head Island’s largest deep-water marina, located right across from Palmetto Dunes, features waterfront shopping and dining and a wide variety of charters, including nature cruises, dolphin tours, sport crabbing and fishing. For information about activities or reservations, please call 877-567-6513 or visit http://www.palmettodunes.com.