Cleveland, OH (PRWEB) March 20, 2014
Research shows that severe dental anxiety affects more than 10% of all individuals to the extent that they avoid receiving dental care at all costs . In fact, a study published in the Journal of the American Dental Association reported that dental fear in some form affects as many of 75% of Americans.
This is more than just an issue affecting oral health; it is also matter of lost revenue. Dental anxiety often leads to missed appointments, cancellations and difficulties with patient recall, directly impacting practice owners' bottom lines.
A simple, effective solution that is proven to help ease the fears of those experiencing dental anxiety is the use of in-office aromatherapy. Aeroscena LLC (http://www.aeroscena.com) offers a simple, research-backed way to deliver the benefits of clinical aromatherapy in dental office settings: the ScentCube system. This system is available via an alliance with Patterson Dental (http://tinyurl.com/ScentCubeSystem), one of the country's largest distributors of dental supplies.
Consider these studies demonstrating aromatherapy's positive effects:
- A study at the University Clinic of Neurology, Medical University of Vienna, Austria, found that ambient odors of both orange and lavender improved mood and reduced anxiety of patients in dental waiting rooms.
- Lavender was also studied at King’s College London, where a randomized control trial showed that anticipatory anxiety was lowered in dental patients exposed to lavender while awaiting dental treatment.
- Researchers at Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine tested stress markers in the saliva of healthy students during a mathematical exam. Individuals exposed to lavender had significantly lower levels of CgA (chromogranin A, a stress marker) than those in the control group.
The ScentCube and corresponding ScentGels (http://tinyurl.com/ScentGels) are a convenient, cost-effective and hygenic way to introduce aromatherapy into both office and clinical environments. Featuring dry-gel technolgy, ScentGels yield a clean diffusion that produces no oil, smoke or ozone.
Aeroscena's scent-delivery system offers a hands-off method to assist patients in controlling their anxiety before and even during dental appointments and procedures. With more than one in four individuals avoiding regular preventative dental care due to dental fear and anxiety, there is clearly a large segment of the population that is not being attended to adequately, given their concerns.
This means an opportunity for dental practice growth is likely being overlooked at the same time. The Aeroscena clinical aromatherapy system, in cooperation with Patterson Dental, provides a potential pathway to boost patient recall and retention. Providing a relaxing, spa-like experience for all patients to enjoy can even drive new recruitment; the word-of-mouth evangelism of satisfied customers is often the most effective form of marketing.
When used in combination with the Aeroscena ScentCube system (http://tinyurl.com/ScentCubeDiffuser), there are further measures that may help create a calm, caring environment for anxious patients:
- Allow extra time for appointments
- Explain the procedure thoroughly and calmly before beginning any dental work
- Stop the procedure any time the patient feels uncomfortable
- Frequently ask the patient for permission to continue
- Make time to stop for breaks as requested by the patient
- Offer a range of comfort measures
- Maintain a patient, supportive and unhurried demeanor
- Harness the power of distraction via television programming or the use of MP3 players
Taking just a few extra steps when treating those patients who suffer from dental fear and anxiety, such as utilizing the Aeroscena ScentCube aromatherapy system (http://tinyurl.com/ScentCubeSystem), can mean the difference between a single, stressful appointment and a satisfied patient for life.
^ 1. Gatchel RJ, Ingersoll BD, Bowman L, Robertson MC, Walker C (October 1983). "The prevalence of dental fear and avoidance: a recent survey study". J Am Dent Assoc 107 (4): 609–10. PMID 6579095.
About Aeroscena LLC
Aeroscena LLC (http://www.aeroscena.com) works with the world’s foremost medical and aromatherapy experts to develop scientifically-formulated scent blends, then with leading medical institutions to prove their efficacy. Our goal is to allow those experiencing distressing symptoms, such as anxiety, insomnia, lethargy and attention deficits, to live their healthiest lives via the use of natural inhalation therapy.
To learn more about how Aeroscena clinical aromatherapy can help ease patient dental anxiety, or to purchase Aeroscena diffusers or ScentGels, visit http://www.aeroscena.com.