Project Courage 5k Ruck Run; Be A Force For Good

Share Article

The ruck and the food are supplied. The heart and the muscle are needed.

On Saturday, April 26, hundreds will don 20 lb. rucksacks (military backpacks) containing a 20 pound sack of rice and run a 5K course along the beach to support programs that serve veterans returning from overseas deployments.

The event, sponsored by Project Courage, a designated fund of H.E.L.O., a 501c3 non-profit organization, will kick off Fleet Week Port Everglades and benefits non-profit organizations that serve veterans, including Special Operations Warrior Foundation (SOWF) , Team Red White and Blue (Team RWB), Heroes Entering Life's Opportunities (H.E.L.O.) and Broward Navy Days.

"Just under 2% of American adults have carried the burden of serving their country in the military or have an immediate family member who served or are serving," said Bill Carney, President of Project Courage. "The Project Courage Ruck Run will give the other 98% a satisfying, but challenging, insight into the weight that the 2% has had to carry over the past 11 years."

Proceeds from the Ruck Run and crowdfunding campaign are shared with Team Red, White and Blue, Special Operations Warrior Foundation, Broward Navy Days, H.E.L.O. and Project Courage. Go to to support the event.

You can enter the Ruck Run at The entry fee ($80) covers the entrant as well as an active duty service member. A part of the entry fee is tax-deductible.

Awards for each age category will be named in honor of one of the 26 Broward County service members who were killed in action in Iraq or Afghanistan.

If enough Crossfit Boxes, fitness centers, public safety departments, high schools and colleges, ROTC and JROTC, etc., enter teams, a separate award category will be created.

Project Courage 5K Ruck Run is a charity race along the beach from Dania Pier into Hollywood and back. Participants will be issued a 20 lb. rucksack (military backpack) filled with rice, a chem light, a commemorative dog tag and T-shirt.

Saturday, April 26, 8 p.m. at the Dania Beach Pier, 300 North Ocean Road, Dania Beach, Florida

To enter go to the website and type in Ruck Run. Entry fee is $80 per entrant and $480 per team of six. Active Duty service members enter for free. A significant portion of the registration fee supports the active duty registrants and is Tax-Deductible.

Visit our website for more information.

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

William Carney
since: 05/2012
Follow >
Courage Games' 5K Ruck Run
since: 09/2011
Like >
Project Courage Inc.

Visit website