Branford, CT (PRWEB) March 16, 2014
The Joint Commission is a national accreditation body that seeks to continuously improve the quality of health care provided to the public evaluating health care organizations and inspiring them to excel in providing safe and effective care of the highest quality. The Joint Commission created a new, rigorous national standard for specialized palliative care hospitals in the United States. Connecticut Hospice was the first facility in the nation to be accredited under the new standard in November 2011. Now, two years later, The Connecticut Hospice, Inc. was recertified by The Joint Commission after its stringent examination without any recommendation for improvement.
The policies and procedures that were followed, include:
- A formal, organized palliative care program led by an interdisciplinary team whose members possess the requisite expertise in palliative care;
- Leadership endorsement and support of the program’s goals for providing care, treatment and services;
- A special focus on patient and family engagement;
- Processes which support the coordination of care and communication among all care settings and providers; and
- The use of evidence-based national guidelines or expert consensus to guide patient care.
Spanning four decades as the country’s first hospice, The Connecticut Hospice, Inc. is also the first palliative teaching hospital earning the national Joint Commission’s first “Advanced Palliative Certification.” Our rating of 100 percent compliance, without recommendations for improvement, reflects our commitment to the highest ratio of care between nurses and patients in the country. Our nurses are the most highly educated nurses through our Norma F. Pfriem International Hospice and Palliative Care Nursing Program. Hospice is also recognized by the American Hospital Association Volunteer Excellence Pediatric Rocker Program, the 2013 Arts Council “In the Wings” award, and American Council for Continuing Medical Education Accreditation with commendation.
For additional information please contact:
The Connecticut Hospice, Inc.