You don't have to buy pre-planted containers to get great results!
Sycamore, IL (PRWEB) March 19, 2014
It’s Easy to Do It Yourself
You don’t have to buy a pre-planted container to get great results. Create your own beautiful container garden! All you have to do is follow these easy steps from Proven Winners and you’ll have a combination that you’ll be proud to say you grew yourself.
Tip for Success
When should you water? For containers, it’s best to soak them once a day, maybe twice in extreme heat. Landscape plants that are surrounded by mulch require about an inch of water each week. For both, water in the morning and near the roots rather than directly over the foliage of the plants.
Building a container garden using the “Thriller, Filler, Spiller” concept
Make sure the Proven Winners plants you select have the same light and water requirements. Purchase equal numbers of each plant – 2 each for a 14" container and 3 of each plant for larger containers.
Select a favorite container. Make sure it has a drainage hole. Fill it with a quality potting soil.
Add Proven Winners time-release plant food.
Step 3 - Thriller Plant
- Thrillers are plants with height that add drama and a vertical element to the combination
- Thrillers can either be flowering or foliage plants or ornamental grasses
- Thrillers are generally put either in the center or at the back of the container
- Place it in the center of the container if it will be viewed from all sides
- Place it in the back of the container if it will be viewed from only one side
- Some examples are: Angelface® angelonia, Butterfly argyranthemum, or Graceful Grasses®
Step 4- Filler plant
- Once you've chosen your Thriller, next start choosing your Filler varieties
- Fillers tend to be more rounded or mounded plants and make the container look full
- Fillers are generally placed in front of, or around, the Thriller variety
- Fillers should be placed midway between the edge of the container and the Thriller variety
- If the Thriller is in the center of the container, the Fillers should surround the Thriller variety
- Some examples are Diamond Frost® euphorbia, Superbells® calibrachoa, Supertunia® petunia
Step 5- Spiller Plant
- Spillers are trailing plants that hang over the edge of the planter
- Spillers are placed close to the edge of the container
- If the container is going to be viewed from all sides, Spillers should be placed on all sides
- If the container is going to be viewed from only one side, Spillers should be placed in the front of the container
- Some examples are Snowstorm® Giant Snowflake® bacopa, Snow Princess® lobularia, Sweet Caroline sweet potato vine
For a step-by-step process simply click here. Now place your container in a place you can enjoy it all season long... then sit back and relax!