“A song and dish are composed of individual parts; but when they come together, something completely different and special is created,” 88Nine RadioMilwaukee DJ Tarik Moody said.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin (PRWEB) March 31, 2014
The interrelationship between the intoxicating flavors of music and food comes alive at the third annual SoundBites, a unique dining experience of specially paired songs and original gourmet dishes served up by 12 of Milwaukee’s top chefs and RadioMilwaukee DJ’s.
A fundraiser for 88Nine RadioMilwaukee (WYMS-FM, 88.9), SoundBites offers grazing through a dozen tasting and listening stations hosted by pairs of chefs and DJs who worked together to match original gourmet creations and the perfect complementary songs. Attendees sample each dish while listening to the paired song on headphones.
Inspired pairings include U2's "Lemon" with Angela’s Lemon Tart with Meringue and Caramel Sauce and Tame Impala's “Feels Like We Only Go Backwards” with Bourbon 'Char Sui' Pork Slider with Chuka Sesame Cabbage. Other creative dishes are paired with songs by artists including G. Love and Special Sauce, Jorge Ben, Steely Dan, Field Report and Serge Gainsbourg & Brigitte Bardot.
SoundBites takes place from 5:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. Thursday April 3, 2014, at The Iron Horse Hotel, 500 W. Florida St., Milwaukee. Tickets are $125 each and available at RadioMilwaukee.org/SoundBites2014. The event sold out in its two prior years.
The chefs include a James Beard Award winner and nominees. Tastemaker combos are:
- Head Chef Rebecca Berkshire, Balzac & DJ Sarah Fierek
- Chef/Owner David Swanson, Braise & DJ Dori Zori
- Executive Chef Thi Cao, Buckley’s Bar & Restaurant & DJ Marcus Doucette
- Executive Chef Justin Schneider, Firefly Urban Bar & Grill & Program Director Sean Demery
- Executive Chef Darin Yenter, Juniper 61 & Musician Christopher Porterfield (Field Report)
- Executive Chef Adam Siegel, Lake Park Bistro & Producer Nate Imig
- Executive Chef/Owner Jan Kelly, Meritage & DJ Ken Sumka
- Executive Chef David Kressin, The Noble & DJ / Asst. Program Director Jordan Lee
- Executive Chef Kevin Sloan, Pabst/Riverside/Turner Hall Ballroom & DJ Tarik Moody
- Pastry Chef Angela Piskur, Pastiche Bistro & Wine Bar & Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Music Writer Piet Levy
- Executive Sous Chef Guy Davies, Rumpus Room & DJ Stephen Kallao
- Executive Chef Suzy Crofton, Smyth & DJ Kat Froehlich
“A song and dish are composed of individual parts; but when they come together, something completely different and special is created,” said 88Nine DJ Tarik Moody, one of the tastemakers developing a pairing for the event.
SoundBites also includes a champagne reception; samples of Wisconsin-made cheese, beer, wine, craft spirits and coffee; a silent auction; a DJ spin; and live music featuring Evan Christian.
88Nine RadioMilwaukee is a nonprofit, community-supported public radio station. RadioMilwaukee champions Milwaukee’s music, arts and culture and its neighborhoods and community organizations; celebrates diversity; and encourages community engagement.
Event sponsors are Baird, BMO Harris, Mindpool Live, The Iron Horse Hotel, Whyte Hirschboeck Dudek and Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.